Bonaire Banded Box Jelly, what is the current info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to Bonaire July 11-19. I do plan on getting in a couple of night dives. I was hoping to wear only my 3/2 shorty but you guys have me thinking about taking my full 3/2 jumpsuit or buying a dive skin. :confused:

Any input is welcome,

I bought a 0.5 mm Scubapro Profile Silverskin suit before my trip to Bonaire in 2006 because of all the info about the BBBJ at that time.

We never saw any BBBJ's - but we did see a typical 'sea wasp' box jellyfish on Nov. 29, 2006 during our second Bonaire trip - it was a night dive at the Corporal Meiss dive site, between Bachelor Beach and North Belnem. I was glad I was wearing that suit, and that my wife, who gets cold more quickly than me when diving, was wearing her 3/2 mm Seaquest X-Flex full wetsuit.

See my post #27, and posts forward, in this older thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/164618-sea-wasps-yikes-3.html

On our second Curacao trip there were a few days with high numbers of paired bell siphonophores about, that always find my ears (annoying, but not excruiciating), but Bonaire is the only spot we've encountered a true box jellyfish.

Back
Top Bottom