Bonaire Banded Box Jelly, what is the current info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are heading to Bonaire June 6-13th. She also read an article on the BBBJ and was a little freaked out. I had seen a post from the scientist leading the research on this jellyfish on bonairetalk and emailed him. He was currently in Florida, but said it is really nothing to worry about. He has a few specimens but said the sightings are few and far between and the chances of encountering one are minimal at best. It's been several months since the email, but I don't recall him directly answering my question as to the severity of the sting. Anyway, my understanding is that it is quite a doozy but not as bad the really dangerous box jellies, ie you'll be in some agony but will recover.

I'm wondering if maybe you weren't stung by a "sea wasp", a related jelly that packs a little less punch, but still hurts quite a bit. I have seen these at night right off the dock at Buddy Dive. They come in at a certain time (2 weeks?, I forget) after a full moon, normally at night. At least that is what Augusto (head of diver operations at Buddy) told me.

Hope this helps a little.

Two years ago we were in Bonaire during the 10-day-after-full-moon period. We were warned only about night dives since the light will attract them. Don't worry about diving during the day, but wear protection.

Two years ago we were in Bonaire during the 10-day-after-full-moon period. We were warned only about night dives since the light will attract them. Don't worry about diving during the day, but wear protection.

Well I dive in a t-shirt and bathing suit so I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open.....:shocked2:

My wife was stung 2 yrs ago diving off the Divi house reef. i have never seen any though. Even night dives when they were suppose to be out. I where full suite though.

I took a look at the jellyfish calendar and it looks as though we will hit it head on for our trip. We start diving on June 14th through the following Friday. We will check with the locals before heading out after dark. Does it make sense to get a bottle of vinegar to take along in case?

Vinegar is fine for fire coral, but if you get hit by a box jelly there's a pretty good chance you'll end up in a hospital....so says Bart from Wannadive.

I have had the rather unpleasant experience of taking a box jelly victim to hospital in Thailand. In fact we suspect it was the tentacles of an Irukandji that got him - a particularly unpleasant little creature that thankfully doesn't hang out in caribbean waters.

As I understand the caribbean banded box jelly is very rare but you do get sea wasps and portugese man o' war in the area.

Treatment for box jelly stings = vinegar and if you have serious burns then a visit to hospital will probably be required. Do not believe the old wive's tale about urinating on jelly fish stings!!

In fact treatment for all jelly stings = vinegar. The exception is the man o'war where vinegar may in some cases actually trigger the nematocysts (stinging cells). This is partly due to the fact that the manowar is not actually a jellyfish. I forget exactly but vinegar works on one type of manowar sting, not the other... er Google! ... I am assured that meat tenderiser is useful on either variety though.

Jellies generally don't gang up behind a coral head and leap out and attack you unprepared however... - so don't worry about them, just keep your eyes peeled, particularly into the current and wear a long suit if you're really worried.

Happy diving!

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom