Bonaire at Captain Dons - trip report as new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpiderSense

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We did it. we're back from our Bonaire trip Oct 21 to 28th. My wife and I went on the trip with a group of 16 or so. With all the good stuff I read about Buddy Dive and all the somewhat negative stuff i read about Captain Don's Habitat, I was reluctant to stay at Capt Don, but it was a group thing. Well, we had a blast and Captain Don's is definitely awesome to stay and dive.

Captain Don's Habitat
-We stayed in one of the cottages and it was clean.
-I was worried, but we didn't have an indoor mosquito problem at all. Some small bugs maybe, but nothing to worry about. We used our DEET when outside though.
-AC worked great, and we found ourselves turning it warmer most of the time.
-No place to hang wet gear inside, but outside there was a cable which worked great.
-The food was pretty good there.
-Checking in and checking out (settling bill) was a definitely on 'island time'.
-I can see where the 'personality conflict' comments come from, but the dive masters didn't bother me.
-there were 3 boats available at Capt Don's, but it only looked like Buddy Dive had one boat. Our group practically had our own boat the whole week which was great since we can leave our gear on board between dives.
-the dive shop didn't have alot of stuff, but i was able to rent some photo gear which was nice. we visited Sand Dollar and Buddy Dive's dive shop for gear.

Bonaire diving
-soooo much life to see.
-easy diving from the boats.
-i read alot about people recommend doing shore dives and not pay for boat dives, but we used up our 2 boat dive/day package and don't regret paying for it. i can't imaging lugging the gear around between dives. i spent alot of energy just loading gear onto/off the boats (tanks are done by DM).
-generally, we did the 8am and 11am boat dives. one afternoon dive, and one night dive off the pier in back. easy and so much to see right off Capt Dons pier. with this schedule, we didn't take the truck and do any shore diving.
-as new divers, we didn't know what we were looking for/at. but we saw huge eels, lobsters, squids, octopus, turtles, shrimp, crabs, baracudas, sea horses, and endless schools of fish.

Again, i did notice some personality conflicts with one or more employees at Captain Don's, but if i go back, i'd like to go back to Captain Don's because of the diving arrangements (boat and pier were both awesome) and the expertise of the dive masters.

Since this trip was our first and we had all new gear, we were always rushing to catch the boat, to grab a bite to eat, and to prep the gear (i triple check everything). Now that we're more experienced, I'd like to do the exact same trip ASAP!!

My wife and I fear diving anywhere else will be.... eehh..

can't wait to go again..
G.

SpiderSense:
................................................................................................
My wife and I fear diving anywhere else will be.... eehh..

can't wait to go again..
G.

It is eehh. :)

Has PBD (post Bonaire depression) set in yet? Sounds like it.
Buddy has 3 dive boats and last July they also had a tubing boat as well. Because Buddy is full most of the time, they are often all out each day.
Next time you are on the island you should try the shore diving, you will be surprized how much you miss.on the boats. The other advantage is time. Our shore dives average 75 minutes and have gone as long as 90.

Yeah, it's funny....I can't imagine going to Bonaire and doing boat dives. If I'm not shore diving I'm not happy.

as far as i can tell, the boat just goes to the shore diving spots, except the ones around klein island. I have a feeling i can get more total dives in by using the boats where i can rest on the way in/out and not lug so much gear around.

btw. i met Captain Don. what a character! you must meet him when he visits on Monday nights. he's hilarious.

Hey everybody!

Glad to see your Bonaire posts! Hubby and I just booked our flight on Friday - we'll be there in January. I am pumped!

I noticed that you've mentioned mosquitos in the orig. post - is there any concern for malaria in this part of the world?

Cheers,
Diva

Hey Spider, there is no set way...that is one of joys of the islands.

My buddy and I like to do our own thing on our own time...we like that freedom. We can easily knock off 5 dives a day.... but like you, many choose to go via boat and have a great time.

J

Diva of the Deep:
Hey everybody!

Glad to see your Bonaire posts! Hubby and I just booked our flight on Friday - we'll be there in January. I am pumped!

I noticed that you've mentioned mosquitos in the orig. post - is there any concern for malaria in this part of the world?

Cheers,
Diva

The mosquito problem varies a lot from month to month and person to person. They at times chew on my wife pretty good, other times we don't see any. Me, the first one to bite me dies from food posioning and the rest leave me along. :) Malaria is not a problem at all. In 9 trips I have not seen them when I considered them "bad".

While I am at it, the tap water is great to drink, it's desalinated salt water and actually taste good. No worries about drinking it. You will dehydrate quite a bit both from the diving and the heat so drink LOTS. We buy a 1L water bottle each and refill it from the tap after each dive. Putting it in the freezer 1/2 full (on it's side is best) and filling it the rest of the way before the dive works well. We wrap it in our post dive dry off towels to help keep it cool. Same goes for the food on the island. They have very high sanitation standards so eating out is not a gamble. Matter of fact, do check out the local snacks, good local food at reasonable prices.
Jep, do these theads set off your PBD?? Sure does mine, I have got to get back on island.

We just got back from Bonaire 2 days ago. Went to Captain Don's for dinner one night and he was there - peg leg and all. We bought a little book he wrote about his adventures and how he named some dive sites - really good. We did one boat dive and the rest shore dives. Next time you go you really need to check out the shore diving. Hauling the equipment around was not an issue. We didn't see many musquitos at all but gnats were a problem at the northern dive sites. Anyway, you won't regret doing the shore diving.

Herman,

Normally yes it would...but I'm going back for trip #7 on 12/2. I'm especially excited because we are diving drysuits this trip. No more getting into a wet smelly wetsuit...

I'm extremely curious if we will have more energy during the course of the trip.

Last trip was March...been doing cold water diving since. I'm stoked..

My husband and I loved the freedom of diving when & where we wanted. Last trip, we did one boat dive to Klein, just to see if we were missing anything, and decided that we liked shore diving much better. As far as lugging gear around, a lot of the southern sites you can pull the truck up relatively close to the water, so you don't really have too far to go. 1000 steps wasn't much fun lugging gear, but it's doable. Anyway, I figure with the extra exercise I was getting, I didn't have to worry too much about eating out for dinner every night.

Back
Top Bottom