Bonaire airfare doubled for 2020 for Delta from AVL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delta's Friday flights to Bonaire are only at certain times of the year, and they are almost always cheaper.
You also have a Sunday option at certain times of the year.
Here is Delta's one-way price grid for AVL-BON:
View attachment 559374

Unfortunately, the Friday and Sunday flights are only in the winter. They actually stop that Apr 2-5 weekend.

Yea, in the past we’ve usually done Sat-Sun. Then Delta eliminated a lot of the Sunday flights. I really had never seen a Friday flight like that. I guess I assumed they were always just into ATL.

That’s great that it goes out on Friday. The return flight must be much more. The round trip flight is almost $1600. I love having a Friday option though.
Yeah, the Apr 11 return on Easter weekend is outrageous.

Here’s an example of what I was referring to. I paid 57k points for a trip last July. But this year it is 115k points. I’m really hoping that will come down and I’m sure it will. It’s just relatively speaking the rates are higher for me. I really didn’t think this would be a controversial post. Anyway, I love Bonaire and when I posted this I was just sad thinking that it would less and less feasible to make it there as often or at all. I was actually hoping others would share different findings.

Attachments

• CBF979F5-5695-44F2-8697-BA07FC4D6A0A.jpeg
    CBF979F5-5695-44F2-8697-BA07FC4D6A0A.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 68
Like Kristin I continue to ticket prices keep climbing even though fuel costs have been dropping. Being based in MN I am really stuck with Delta which is now a fine but very expensive airline. I tried United about 5 years ago and that was a gong show. We ended up going to Amsterdam and back to finally get there a day and a half late.

I am heading there in less than three weeks and paid for out tickets long ago that the sting of what I paid has worn off. This year we are just doing one two week trip vs. maybe two one week trips. That makes the painful air cost easier to bear particularly once on island prices are not crazy like other vacation destinations.

One very strange thing I noticed and even opened up a case with Delta on it is that prices when viewed via a web browser (logged in to Skymiles or not) on my laptop were WAY higher than what I would see on my Delta phone app. This was true for all destinations. I never heard anything further but now buy all my tix via my phone.

Like Kristin I continue to ticket prices keep climbing even though fuel costs have been dropping. Being based in MN I am really stuck with Delta which is now a fine but very expensive airline. I tried United about 5 years ago and that was a gong show. We ended up going to Amsterdam and back to finally get there a day and a half late.

I am heading there in less than three weeks and paid for out tickets long ago that the sting of what I paid has worn off. This year we are just doing one two week trip vs. maybe two one week trips. That makes the painful air cost easier to bear particularly once on island prices are not crazy like other vacation destinations.

One very strange thing I noticed and even opened up a case with Delta on it is that prices when viewed via a web browser (logged in to Skymiles or not) on my laptop were WAY higher than what I would see on my Delta phone app. This was true for all destinations. I never heard anything further but now buy all my tix via my phone.

What was a fair price prior to these increases, and what is an average price now out of Minn to Bonaire?

While the airfare on Delta and others can be higher to Bonaire than to other dive destinations, The cost of staying in Bonaire seems considerably cheaper than in other places. Not saying it's the rule, but it does seem that way. We are heading to Bonaire for the first time on Friday, so we're no experts, but when you factor in the ease of diving, the reasonable prices for air (tanks), and the fact that we rented a new villa overlooking the water with its own private pool for $2400 for the week, the total cost of the trip is comparable to other places where you might get cheaper air, but pay more in lodging, boat diving, etc., it seems to all work out to pretty much the same. With some exceptions, of course, but generally speaking....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom