Looking for some Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @fantroym

In addition to Klein Bonaire, there are 8 very good sites in the north that are not accessible from shore. We do our boat dives in the morning and our afternoons are still free for shore diving. We find it a nice balance.

As we've gotten older, we avoid some of the more difficult entries. There are plenty of sites with easier entries.

You already have great advice on boots.

I recommend a compass for underwater navigation. Take a reading from the site marker buoy to your truck/entry point then at the end of the dive you return to the buoy then navigate right to the entry underwater. Lots of people do surface swims but sometimes there is a current or wind at the surface making them much harder than if you just stay underwater. Plus you have to opportunity to spy on cool critters.

Lastly, dont get overwhelmed by all the sites and the need to visit them all and go to other people's favorites. Visit the Northern and Southern sites and inside those groups they are similar. Dive a few early in your trip then hit your favorites near the end of your trip.

Mark,

Keep in mind that there CAN be current at any of the sites. So into the current first and then back with the current. It's not uncommon to be 30 minutes up and then 10 back. So remember to pick a landmark on shore because it can all look the same. Going past your exit point is just an annoyance, you'll be fine.

+1 more... it is that easy.

If you get bored, you can find more challenging dives, but just relax, don't overthink/over-plan your trip, just walk out in the water and enjoy. Then, if you want something different, head to the southern and eastern coasts (and north if it reopens before your visit) -- but be careful in these other places.

I just wanted to commiserate on the price hikes of flights into CZM. We recently discovered a great family-friendly diving resort and we were so eager to return next year only to encounter $600+ fares. Mexico has always been so accessible due to low airfare (even into CZM) so this has been kind of a shock. But I'm glad you're able to venture out to new destinations now, it makes so much sense to check out Roatan and Bonaire if these trips are pricing out the same or even lower than a trip to Cozumel. You're going to have such an amazing time (but you'll miss the tacos.....)!

The reef at Northern sites are close to shore. The Southern reefs have more of a swim out to reef.
We surface swim out to the dark Blue usually to the boat buoy. We take a compass reading from buoy to entry point by Turning the compass bezel so it lines up. Drop down and look at boat mooring and note depth (usually 15 to 20'). Look at water particles in water column near coral to see what direction current is flowing (often so light it is hard to tell otherwise) or soft coral if currentis moving a bit.
Drop down to 60-80' (air or nitrox), head into current for 30 to 40 min (half tank alarm), turn shallow up to about 40 -50 feet slowly fin back with current swallowing up as you go. At about 50 - 65 min (air consumption/current) you should be at 15- 20' looking at soft coral and looking for mooring. At 700 psi head to shore using compass reading even if you missed the mooring. At 8' pop your head up and look for your truck. Swim to entry/exit.
Look at this video.
Get a good drybox for keys (dryfob is great), get fin/mask keeper (hand free for balance). We graduated to walking sticks because we are 60+.
We also use empty gal water jugs or 2 liter pop bottles filled with tap water. Leave in bed of truck and they get nice and warm for a fresh water rinse. Southern sites are a bit sandy and it is nice to get the sand off boots/gear before throwing in back of bed. Also great to wash sand off feet before getting in truck.

We get hi vis so you can see while in water to secure you fins.

1000013286.jpg

As noted - yes it's that simple. Some of the entries are a little tricky. Bonaire has a great site map with descriptions. 1. Heavy soled boots are a must (wife also put carbon fiber insoles in her soft sole boots!) 2. Trucks are PRICEY but you need one 3. Bonaire is currently waging a war on VRBO - they are trying to limit them, so the resort prices have gone WAY up. We just had a 5 BR 5000 SF house for what a 2 BR apartment at a resort cost. Be aware 3. Get in and out at each location WITHOUT your dive gear first. 4. Freeze water bottles and take them with you. Enjoy!

I just wanted to commiserate on the price hikes of flights into CZM. We recently discovered a great family-friendly diving resort and we were so eager to return next year only to encounter $600+ fares. Mexico has always been so accessible due to low airfare (even into CZM) so this has been kind of a shock. But I'm glad you're able to venture out to new destinations now, it makes so much sense to check out Roatan and Bonaire if these trips are pricing out the same or even lower than a trip to Cozumel. You're going to have such an amazing time (but you'll miss the tacos.....)!
That has been the best part about this, I had gotten so complacent with Cozumel I was more excited about the time off work vs the actual vacation. Once we made the change I am looking forward to diving again!

"Looking for some advice!"?

Avoid taking Ambien and a laxative together at bedtime.

What? Wrong kind of advice ??

Seriously, have you gotten Susan Porter's BONAIRE Shore Diving Made Easy book? Great dive site-by-dive site tips and background. Also Reef Smart's Bonaire guide book with 3D maps of the sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom