Bonaire - A First Timer's Perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone wanting a last minute vacation should look at Bonaire because Delta has some killer prices going to Bonaire out of Atlanta and they have a great schedule to boot. The ticket we bought about 4 months ago is now $160 cheaper. Probably could find a place to stay at a deal also.

Just booked Delta last night - price was too good to pass on.

Round trip air with Delta and drive and dive package with Belmar "approximately" $1,275 each

Flight times are super!

Just booked Delta last night - price was too good to pass on.

Round trip air with Delta and drive and dive package with Belmar "approximately" $1,275 each

Flight times are super!

Good for you! We are going to Bonaire Feb. 21st - 28th. Delta charges $150 to change a ticket so right now it won't really pay for me to cancel the one I have and rebook on the same flight but I'm going to keep checking every day. Last fall my buddy booked to Roatan and about one month before he went the price had dropped $300 dollars. So he canceled which cost him $150 and rebooked and was given a $150 credit voucher which he is using on the Bonaire flight.

Most of the time that kind of thing doesn't work in your favor but now and then we all get lucky!

By the way, I grew up in Raleigh and now live just on the outside of it.

I tried to change my next Sat flights to Bonaire when the prices dropped, but the "discounter", Cheap Tickets was "cheaper" than I was hoping. They prevented me canceling or changing their Continental international flight. It's in their "Fine print".

I tried to change my next Sat flights to Bonaire when the prices dropped, but the "discounter", Cheap Tickets was "cheaper" than I was hoping. They prevented me canceling or changing their Continental international flight. It's in their "Fine print".

Jim,

Are you flying NY to Bonaire on Continental or Delta on Saturday? My flight is Detroit to NYK to Bonaire on Delta.

Reading this thread made me reflect on my Bonaire trip. It was a group trip and if I ever go back, I would want to go with a group. The majority of my dive trips are either with just my wife, or solo. Bonaire, in my opinion, is better with a group so that you have more ready dive buddies. It is not that uncommon when I go with my wife that she or I is in the mood for a nap, when the other one is ready to go dive. Live-aboards and Cozumel in my limited experience lend themselves more to solo trips.

Jim,

Are you flying NY to Bonaire on Continental or Delta on Saturday? My flight is Detroit to NYK to Bonaire on Delta.

Albany to JFK to BON, also Delta, Sat 1/24 (#553, 10:35AM?)

Reading this thread made me reflect on my Bonaire trip. It was a group trip and if I ever go back, I would want to go with a group. The majority of my dive trips are either with just my wife, or solo. Bonaire, in my opinion, is better with a group so that you have more ready dive buddies. It is not that uncommon when I go with my wife that she or I is in the mood for a nap, when the other one is ready to go dive. Live-aboards and Cozumel in my limited experience lend themselves more to solo trips.

This will be our fourth or fifth trip to Bonaire, but the first time not as part of a group. Two times nowwith Herman's and Deputy Dan's (from this board) group from N. C., once with our local PADI clan. The groups, especially the folks from N. C. are fun.
I usually also have my two teenagers with me, so we are normally a group all by ourselves.

This time it will be just myself and my gf, who has a very different dive style and stamina than I, but in my experience there are a lot of friendly divers on Bonaire. As long as I'm diving I'm content. After 38 years of diving I'm not adverse to an occasional solo (horrors!), especially if I'm shooting pics, but it's a lot more fun to dive with (most) other people!

The NY contengent of the NC group always adds to the fun. I agree, groups do add to the fun, just nailed down the 09 dates today. I personally like to do a dawn solo dive before anyone but the fishes are up. I get some of my best photos then. Jim, lots of times you can hook up with others on the Bonaire Talk board. I have done that when it was Kathy and myself without a group.

Jim, 08 photos and slideshows are in the mail.

Thanks Herman. I have posted dates and email on Bonaire Talk, and am hoping to find new friends this trip. Really looking forward to your photos and slideshow from our '08 Bonaire trip!

You're right, listened to you and on this last trip and I did a couple pre dawn dives. It is a different reef just before dawn than it is just after dark. And watching the "changing of the guard" as the reef creatures of the daylight suddenly appear, as if from no where, was worth getting up for. I did find tho that trying to squeeze both a night dive and pre dawn dive into the same night doesn't leave me a lot of time to sleep!

Sitting here at my computer, dreaming of the tropics and coming dives; gear bag at my side. I am packed early, I am ready. Next Sat at this time I should be in JFK waiting for that Bonaire flight! This winter has been so much harsher than usual I'm counting the minutes til we're out of here!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom