Bombs in the Sinai !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got back from Sharm el Sheikh on Sunday evening where Belushi and I went on holiday for a week. When we heard about the bombing we both agreed this wouldn't affect the holiday.

Security around hotels and ports has been increased, e.g. they are limiting coaches into hotels etc. but it didn't really affect the holiday at all. We had a lovely time.

Are plans of moving to Egypt also remain - we're in the process of selling our house and plan to move to Egypt within the next 1-4 months.

mania:
Yes there is something as Sinai only (and it's for free) but to be honest - visa costs 15 US$. Without it you can't dive neither Ras Mohammad nor Tiran. So you are only left with local dives which sometimes are boring.
Mania

Unlike Ras Mohammed, there is no need for a Visa in order to dive in the straits of Tiran.

Jai Bar:
Unlike Ras Mohammed, there is no need for a Visa in order to dive in the straits of Tiran.
To be more detailed - yes you are right but only when Mubarak is not in Sharm. Once he's there the boats are not allowed to go along the cost - they have to go to Tiran in the open sea and you should have a passport and the visa. Remember - although rarely but they do control divers boats and divers - I already experienced such control twice - once it was Egyptian military, second time was the National Park officers - and they controlled us on Tiran!!!! This control was mostly focused on whether we used gloves, knifes and ...they controlled our computers!!!!
Mania
PS. Not to mention the fact that you will not be allowed to go to Dahab. I think that paying 15 US$ is not a lot of money, but certainly less trouble.

I'm Instructor living in Dahab since 10 years ago and I have my private dive club, after what is happened at Taba I felt very worry because I thought the result of this attact will be canceling the booking espically we are in the highest season, actually nobody cancel even I had more booking after a week later also I asked my guest, did you think to cancel your dive holiday to Dahab after what ia happened at Taba? they answered, well in the same day maybe but next day we decieded we will go head with our plane because normally even if it will happen again this boombing in sinai, will not happen before few years later............hopefully

bluediver

As coming back to the original subject of this thread here is the mail I got from my firends, owners of the Sanafir Hotel, Pacha night club and Bus Stop in Sharm. I thought it may be interesting story to hear.
Mania

On the night of the bombing, at the beginning the police was so worried
because at that time we had more than a thousand person in front of Sanafir
waiting that we open the doors of House Nation. It was a long weekend with
many Egyptians also. So the police asked Adly to finish the night at 1:30
instead of the usual winter timing of 03:00 but he told them that in that
case, it's better that he doesn't open because people will be very upset!!
So they let everyone enter with a lot of security mesures. At 03:00 no one
came to stop the music and they even let us continue until 04:00! It was a
smart move because the majority of the guests didn't even know about the
bombing and like this they left as normal. Next day we had the beach all day
long followed by another party until 04:00! followed by the beach followed
by Hits Mania. The main thing is that the authorities felt that it is very important to give a security feeling to the tourists by maintaining the nightlife very active.

At the same night, I had with me 4 divers of my Swiss guest at "Ras Abou Gallum" we heard the bombing! thanks god!! next morning we knew from the Bedouins what is happened, I think we were lucky!!

Hi all,

The reservations are MADE. We're going next tuesday (nov 2nd) and are staying 1 week. I hope to (about) double the number of dives I made so far !!!! Yes, I know I am wet behind my ears :)

I'll be trying my UW housing for my cam also, so hopefully I can give you a report in about three weeks along with some pics.....

Thank you all for the adviice you've given....

I'm not jealous really!!! I must admit, I have about 3 weeks ahead of me now with room to play, sooo tempted to hop on a plane and pop over to my favourite place.

I guess that will only delay my return for the IDC though, so I will be thinking of all you guys popping over to Egypt for a bit of winter wonderland.

Scubababy, which centre will you and Belushi be working at? Or is that a personal question?

Hi,

Well, I just returned from Sharm. It's like someone else wrote earlier: No taxi's or taxibuses are allowed to drive up to the front of hotels ot other 'western targets'. The same applied to our dive center, though it can hardly be considered a central or crowded place.

We dove with Dive Africa, did two shore dives (just the two of us with a guide) on the first day and then went on to the great sites like Jackson reef near Tiran and of course Ras Mohammed national park.

We saw eagle rays, napoleons, huge barracudas and several species of moray eel. No sharks, but then we didn't expect to. I was thrilled to spot a Dautzenberg wart snail (excusez le translation) since I don't usually notice the smaller stuff as we we swim along. Meeting a turtle calmly grazing the reef was an experience I won't forget soon.

Some photo's here.

One thought really sticks: Sharm is too crowded. On our way back from Tiran I counted 38 boats, and was told by the captain that's nothing. On any day you might expect up to a hundred boats on the three reefs to the north of Sharm. Another thing: The market is dominated by the demand for cheap & easy dives for people I would call utter beginners. I'm still shocked by the inept antics of the russians we shared a boat with, not to mention the damage they did once they got to the reef.

Art

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom