Bomb found at Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddthecat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was down there Easter Sunday, looked like a bomb went off underwater with all the particulate in the water. The vis was much improved Monday afternoon and by Tuesday morning it was pretty good.

Yikes. I remember when they closed our dive park because someone found a 50 caliber anti-aircraft shell (the site was used for anti-aircraft training during WWII). Apparently the Sheriff thought the report said a 50mm shell so they sent the bomb squad over from Los Angeles. We try not to report these if found now.

It also was my first chance to use my new shearwater petrel,, which is also the bomb!! Sorry for derailing the thread....There is a camera mounted on top of the restrooms, I wonder if they can get anything from that. When I was down there Stella said kids keep throwing a towel over it though.

It also was my first chance to use my new shearwater petrel,, which is also the bomb!! Sorry for derailing the thread....There is a camera mounted on top of the restrooms, I wonder if they can get anything from that. When I was down there Stella said kids keep throwing a towel over it though.
I haven't been over much in recent years. I did stop by to look at the new building in October, but it was still closed. The old restrooms were pretty nice when clean, but too often vandalized.

Yikes. I remember when they closed our dive park because someone found a 50 caliber anti-aircraft shell (the site was used for anti-aircraft training during WWII). Apparently the Sheriff thought the report said a 50mm shell so they sent the bomb squad over from Los Angeles. We try not to report these if found now.
:laughing: So was it a 50 cal shell like for a 1/2" diameter bullet? I enjoyed firing that gun, cutting up wrecked cars, etc. That term can be used for much lager munitions, and for WWII anti-aircraft there was a 3" diameter bullet called the 3"/50cal. 3"/50 caliber gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saw this on the local news yesterday, but not much details really on what was REALLY found or where. One report said IN the water, another just said IN the area of Blue Hole. So... hope we find out what really happened. This makes me very uneasy for many reasons, and one more reason there should be some sort of security guards there.

More security would be nice, but expensive and you know they'd pass those costs on to the divers - doubled. As small as the device was, I don't see how a guard could have noticed - and do we want guards checking our gear, weights, pockets, etc?

More security would be nice, but expensive and you know they'd pass those costs on to the divers - doubled. As small as the device was, I don't see how a guard could have noticed - and do we want guards checking our gear, weights, pockets, etc?

They won't as they will probably just close it down for the greater good!! After all, divers are just a pimple on a gnats behind in economic terms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom