bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it necessary to remove (read: file down) excess metal from the trigger? it seems like a an unnecessary "hook" to catch on the fishing line, etc... What are the disadvanges of filling it down, does it make the metal weaker that the trigger can break off? Also, why Stainless Steel over Brass? I've been told so that you don't "cut" your finger on brass... what does that mean? I don't undertand...

VTernovski:
Is it necessary to remove (read: file down) excess metal from the trigger? it seems like a an unnecessary "hook" to catch on the fishing line, etc... What are the disadvanges of filling it down, does it make the metal weaker that the trigger can break off? Also, why Stainless Steel over Brass? I've been told so that you don't "cut" your finger on brass... what does that mean? I don't undertand...

Brass snaps are much sharper in the area where the trigger slides up and down (the channel that holds the trigger and spring in place). Stainless snaps are much rounder, without sharp edges. I have sliced my finger using brass snaps, but I've never done it with stainless.

Boogie711:
Brass snaps are much sharper in the area where the trigger slides up and down (the channel that holds the trigger and spring in place). Stainless snaps are much rounder, without sharp edges. I have sliced my finger using brass snaps, but I've never done it with stainless.

Boogie is right on about the brass snaps being sharp around the trigger or slide button.(see boogie I don't always argue with you :wink:)

I remember when I did my cavern course and never realized how sharp they were. Everytime I unclipped a real or light I was cutting my thumb ( no gloves allowed).

For some reason at the time I thought the rocks in the cave were cutting my thumbs and just couldn't put two and two together - DOH.

Anyway after a day of torture I figured it out and bought a file - problem solved and lesson learned. I still prefer brass clips because they are much less expensive and a minute with a file or couple seconds with a dremel fixes them up.

Doh! What's next! Will Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi kiss and make up???

I've heard of a guy slicing open his dry glove on a brass snap. Makes sense, I guess.

The other thing you have to watch for with brass is the spring itself - brass makes crappy springs. Some brass snaps have a SS spring, but others don't. I've seen a few brass snaps corrode closed or become really difficult to maneuver. I imagine the same thing can happen with SS, but it's far less likely.

Boogie711:
Doh! What's next! Will Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi kiss and make up???

Wow. Quickest popular culture news reference I've seen inserted into a thread on another topic ever. :)

That aside, I hope that goon goes to jail for that vicious attack.

Marc

"Tritto" on the brass boltsnaps and sliced thumbs - I did it just this weekend. Had a closer look at the brass boltsnap, and that thing is like a razor on the edges of the channel where the snap slides up and down. Flippin' dangerous.

But brass is so PRETTY...

... besides, the shiny SS will attract barracuda and they'll bite your face off. Honest.

Hey roakey, can you buy snaps individually or do you have to buy them in those kits (I don't really need 15 snaps for $40)?

Around here (Vancouver, BC), SS bolt snaps cost $13 CAN (about $10US) in hardware stores. That means if I buy 4 snaps I might as well have bought a kit from those NIX people and got all those extras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom