Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HardwayDiver

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been gone over...

I have a quick question. What is the best way to connect a bolt snap to something like an SPG? They all have solid rings at the base. I don't really want to zip tie it on. How do you guys do it?

Thanks!

Can't ask for a better answer than that! Thanks a lot for the link.

I use a heavy-duty retractor I picked up at Sportsman's warehouse. The hardware and spring is stainless steel and/or delran. They come in either a snap attachment or a velcro attachment. It holds it tight to my chest and is easy to pull forward to view either the SPG, compass or depth. The standard size is borderline strength if your console is heavy.

A single zip tie hold the possibility of snapping if twisted, cave line is stronger.

I use a piece of bike inner tube. It is easier to attach and adjusts. And maybe easier to remove when needed. Probably not as unbreakable as cave line so I would not use it on anything that would be lost if the attachment failed. I use cave line in those cases.

For my SPG, I unbolted the hose and put the snap bolt ring around that. For my octo I used a zip tie so it could be easily cut and removed if neccessary.

I second the tying with cave line. Has always worked well for me.

A

Walter:
Why don't you want to use a zip tie? It's more secure than tying it on.
Zip ties get brittle over time and according to murphy's law will break at the moment when you least expect it and have the biggest issue with it.....:D

Cave line is absolutely secure if tied correctly (square knot with ends burned and tapped in, or glued) and can be cut easily when Murphy still decides to pay a visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom