Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very helpful thread. Now I know why they call it a square knot.

-V

ZzzKing:
For my SPG, I unbolted the hose and put the snap bolt ring around that. For my octo I used a zip tie so it could be easily cut and removed if neccessary.
You may want to rethink this. You want the snap to be able to be cut away if needed. Sounds like you'd have to cut your hp hose to do that.

Jason B:
You may want to rethink this. You want the snap to be able to be cut away if needed. Sounds like you'd have to cut your hp hose to do that.

I may want to but I haven't really seen a reason to yet. I dive in warm, shallow, open water and can't really think of a scenario in which I would need to cut my hp hose. I could certainly understand in cave or wreck diving that it could be a problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Seen zip ties fail. I'm even converting Mr Zip Tie himself - Uncle Pug over to the darkside of cave line. :D

If you have a camera and are on a 1000' deep wall and want to clip it off, which are you going to trust more?

It is very unlikely that in an openwater environment your zip ties are gonna get snagged on anything. Then again it is not likely in an overhead environment either. In either case there would likely be more hazards in openwater from fishing line and things like that.

Cave line is much stronger though. I broke my zipties off today just by twisting the bolstsnaps too much. The cave line is tough, can be cut very easily with a dive knife if needed (which when it comes down to it is more of the principle of the thing), but also seems to let the boltsnaps move a little bit which for me makes it easier to clip things on and off.

-V

awap:
I use a piece of bike inner tube. It is easier to attach and adjusts. And maybe easier to remove when needed. Probably not as unbreakable as cave line so I would not use it on anything that would be lost if the attachment failed. I use cave line in those cases.

I've seen something similar with large o-rings. Get them from the hardware store so that they are cheaper. If you get them thick enough, they will be pretty strong, but not impervious to a little adrenaline or a knife.

I use cave line.

Jason B:

Okay, I did rethink it and rerigged. It wouldn't really hurt anything to do attach the snap bolt via cave line or zip tie, and if it breaks away accidently, the worst thing is my SPG dangles for the rest of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom