Bolt Snap to Goodman Handle: Cave Line keeps wearing through

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About 20 dives ago, I switched to having my bolt snap on my Goodman Handle of my light, before it was on my cord. I like it there better, but after about 10 dives the handle wears through the #24 cave line I am using. FWIW, I'm using the standard double thread through method as described on Dive Rite Express's website . . . and attaching the snap to the screw slot on the handle. It looks like the inside edges of that slot are quite sharp, I'm thinking of filing them down, but was wondering if anyone else have issues with this, and if so, what their solutions were . . .

most people I know had this problem, so did I.
the way I solved (and the once I know) is to connect the bolt snap to the reflector housing instead the goodman handle

dsteding:
About 20 dives ago, I switched to having my bolt snap on my Goodman Handle of my light, before it was on my cord. I like it there better, but after about 10 dives the handle wears through the #24 cave line I am using. FWIW, I'm using the standard double thread through method as described on Dive Rite Express's website . . . and attaching the snap to the screw slot on the handle. It looks like the inside edges of that slot are quite sharp, I'm thinking of filing them down, but was wondering if anyone else have issues with this, and if so, what their solutions were . . .

File down those edges as a starter. If you think they are too sharp then they probably are.

dsteding:

I have owned over a dozen goodman handled lights and have never encountered this problem on any of them. Having said that, answers are:

1) File it
2) Tie the knot so the part going through the handle doesn't move i.e. the double wrap around the handle and the bolt eye are different. If I didn't have to pull out a book on knots every time I tied anything other than a basic double overhand knot I would give you a better description. I would caution that (1) should fix this since I have never used this knot arrangement on a goodman, but I have on other tie offs.

dsteding:
About 20 dives ago, I switched to having my bolt snap on my Goodman Handle of my light, before it was on my cord.
Basicaly, you need both attachment points. E.g. How will you clip off the light when deploying SMB? If you do it by handle it will shine to your face :)

JJ answered this recently when some people complained the edges of the handle were too sharp. He basically said to tie the knot so the bolt snap would stand proud. I had this problem initially, but no more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom