Bolt Snap Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This thread is posted as a public service to those of you shopping for Bolt Snaps.

"3/4 gap", "1 1/8 length," "1 inch eye," "Medium sized..." all that means very little to those of us who've never seen them. Here is a comparison of some different Bolt Snaps.

I originally ordered smalls all around (for my SPG, Reg, HID Light, Scout, etc.) from Reef Scuba when I first moved to the dark side in February - and I'm still finding it tough to snap stuff back in...especially the SPG.

Last weekend, the Snap on my light vanished, so I borrowed one from Arnaud. It was larger, and was much easier to use. Hmmmm I think....

I remember reading how BOOMX5 liked the larger swivel eye, as he can set a gloved finger into it and better control the "snick" (my word for clipping back on...) SO - I orderd some of the large from NIX.

To quote "good 'ol Chris": "...I knew it'd be big. But I didn't think it'd be BIG.." These things are huge. We're talking Boltasaurus here.

Here's the plan:

* Keep the small one on my reg

* Keep the small one on my overrated Scout light

* Keep Arnaud's mid-size on my HID light (shhhhhhhh....)

* Put Gigantor on my SPG. Now I have nine more of these freaks of nature that need homes...

For the SPG, I dig it. Will make the blind snick with my left hand much easier. Not so much for the regulator - its just too darn big and will likely pull the thing from my mouth, or break a tooth or something just swinging in the current.

The Pic:

Bottom is a "small" from Reef Scuba (Reg & Scout)

Middle used to belong to Arnaud...going back on my HID

Top is NIX's Snapzilla...going on the SPG

NIX - great service, HUGE snaps...

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Now I have nine more of these freaks of nature that need homes...

...you can just send a few my way...my home is always open to orphan bolt-snaps.:D

I'm a member of P.E.T.B. (People for the Ethical Treatement of Bolt-Snaps), don't just abuse or neglect the little babies; allow then to move on to a loving home...or alternately find a local latex and leather club...you're from So-Cal...I'm sure you can trade for some bungie cord or latex tubing or something...just wash it first
:D

Wow, thats a monster snap!!!!

I would've stayed with the smaller one, or the middle one.

Good Luck finding the orphan bolt snaps new homes!!!

We've used the NIX 'mega' bolts on stage bottles, and they make them much easier to clip and unclip with limited sight and movement.

They also work well on scooters. Although they do look huge I agree! LOL

Nice pic and good info.

victoriawtx once bubbled...
We've used the NIX 'mega' bolts on stage bottles, and they make them much easier to clip and unclip with limited sight and movement.

I've never seen a stage rig but I figured this is what these would be good for (judging from the pictures I've seen...) You know, the whole Fido thing.

K

I need to jump in here, cause I've been wondering, what the "correct" size boltsnaps are, little? (for backup lights and long hose) and the medium/large/whatever? (for the SPG).

Also what size do you guys recommend for stages?

oh yeah... what about size of dbl enders for spools and such?

Thanks,

Ben

P.S. I'll be ordering from Nix.

NIX on eBay

Go to "view sellers other items" to see all the stuff he has on eBay

NIX other site

Here's the Scuba Snap (Scoobie Snack?!?) page of his main site.

K

Hate it.

Actually (UP is snickering) I hate clipping boltzilla back onto the stoopid ACB left D ring. (I don't hate the ACB...just the ring and the webbing...) :wink:

I'm diving with 8 bounds now. That's a tiny little plate in thay big ACB pocket. So there is significant extra webbing that fowls the damn ring. It can take me minutes to re-clip. Boltzilla only added to the problem.

Actually, I'm growing to hate the ACB. Now he's really snickering. I may lose the ditichable weight concept and just get a P-weight. Or, I may break down and get a (gasp) weight belt for my great eight. Who knows.

I'm gonna cut down the webbing this weekend, re-sew it the fold-over, put Arnaud's commandeered mid size bold on the SPG, put a small one back on the light and throw these huge blimpkeeps on eBay.

If the ACB fix doesn't work this weekend, I may do what I have been doing, and that is simply pull over the SPG and crane my neck. I can't get the clipping unclipping thing nailed.

AAUUGGHH....

k

Back
Top Bottom