bolt snap on primary hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we use zip ties for primary,spg and backup lights.Pull em tight and cut the access off as close as you can with toenail clippers or I hear it can cut you.[if the cut off end is left protruding]in an entanglement they can be twisted to break.

Tassie_Rohan:
Anyway - more importantly has anyone actually been in a position where they have needed to cut free the bolt snap on their spg or primary hose? And why?

I've been in the situation where I've had to get a spg free and second stage deployed in a hurry,and I have found something that has been successful. Obviously there are other ways to do this,but the ultimate question is how many people have tested the system they are using??? I used to use cave line until somebody challanged me to see how fast I could handle an emergency. In the spg situation we simulated an entangled spg. I had to deploy my knife and cut something I couldn't visually see,but had to go by feel,my buddy broke the o-ring and was free in seconds. With the second stage we simulated a dive with stages where the second stage would be secured to a d-ring,and the results were obvious here too. Like I said there are many ways to do it,but I've used this method for close to 10 years,and have been very satisfied.

xScubaStephx:
]in an entanglement they can be twisted to break.

The ultimate question is have you tested this? How difficult was it to twist and break? In an emergency would you want to twist,and wait for something to fail? If it doesn't fail and break,what will you have with you to cut it with,since a cable tie doesn't leave much relief between the bolt snap and hose-do you take nail clippers on the dive?

depending on which ones you use, they actually can be quite easy to break if you twist them sharply. then again, i'd hate to see your hose after a vigorous tie-breaking...

In pure Hogarthian philosophy I adapt and refine what others use,but I test it when it comes to emergency equipment. If the cable tie hasn't been tested to see how fast it will fail,or if damage to the hose can occur which can result in a worse situation,and test how difficult it will be to relieve the bolt snap from nylon line;then I am endangering the team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom