bolt snap on primary hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
how do you guys secure your bolt snap to the primary hose? I want to secure it to my right shoulder D ring when I exit the water so it doesn't flap about and accidently get stepped on.

you guys tie it on with a string or what? much appreciated, thanks! sorry for the newbie question

I use one of these naff little bungee loops:

ac2019a.jpg

Available here from diverite express.

O-rings also work and are easier to break - see Bens link for discussion.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Mine is tied on with cave line and I don't find it getting in the way.

mine are also tied with cave line - pink cave line. :D remember to burn the ends so it won't unravel.

another option is zip ties, but they tend to snap off after a while, and bolt snaps can get very expensive! i've heard of the o-ring idea, but never seen the bungie loops. thanks, tassie, for the pic.

Zip tie. Never an issue.

---
Ken

I zip tied o-rings to my primary 2nds and use a double ender when I need to clip it off. It wasn't that it was too heavy even with my old metal scubapro 2nds. I just don't see any advantage in having that snap dangling there all the time. I always carry a spare double ender clipped to each chest D-ring so they are always available anyway.

Ben_ca:
Careful with the breakaway attachments... Murphy loves them... they seem to let go when you do not want them to...

I've never found this to be a problem if the right o-ring is chosen. I know some people who use a standard yoke o-ring,which does seem to break,and since it requires a zip tie/nylon line attachment causes an additional danglie. I can't recall the exact Parker number but there are 2 sizes of o-rings that are big enough that will hold the bolt snap tightly to the hose,by threading it through the hose with the spg/2nd stage off,and strong enough that they don't break unless stressed under significant pressure.
I've had these break only when required to do so ie spg got wedged in a rock in a tight no viz restriction,and rapid deployment of the long hose when I was carrying stages;never breakage from routine use. I've been impressed by the durability because I have gone 2 years without replacement or equivalent of 200 dives,and they were strong as ever,but with the cheap price of an o-ring it makes sense to replace it more often. Cable ties and nylon line are strong attachments,but I find prevent rapid deployment in an emergency ( sure don't want to watch some body fumble with their bolt snap when I need air) and require an extra step of deployment of a knife to cut free,which isn't as easy as it sounds especially in a low visibilty situation and time is critical.

karstdvr:
require an extra step of deployment of a knife to cut free,which isn't as easy as it sounds especially in a low visibilty situation and time is critical.

Interesting point Karstdvr - the bungie ties I use can be broken with a lot of effort. Using cave line adds an extra step and an extra tool to free the bolt snap.

What do others think about this - are the extra steps of deploying the knife, finding the line/cable tie and cutting it without cutting the hose a trifling triviality? Or a risk if in trying circumstances (thick gloves, no vis, low air, strong current, etc&#8230:wink:?

Anyway - more importantly has anyone actually been in a position where they have needed to cut free the bolt snap on their spg or primary hose? And why?

I don't see it as a risk - but I feel like being a pedantic devils advocate...

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom