Bolt Snap for Regulator with thick dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suggestion - go to the local hardware store and buy an assortment of snaps, put your gloves on and give them a try. What works for others won't necessarily be the best for you. I like trigger snaps for my deco regs because they are easy to work with gloves.

I am having trouble clipping off my primary reg during drills. I know it will get easier with practice but I also wanted to get a feel of what size bolt snap people are using with thick gloves. I use the blue smurf drygloves. Thanks!
when you want to clip off your reg do you mean when you change to short hose? for if you have difficulty with thick gloves have you tried a double necklace

My suggestion - go to the local hardware store and buy an assortment of snaps, put your gloves on and give them a try. What works for others won't necessarily be the best for you. I like trigger snaps for my deco regs because they are easy to work with gloves.

My experience has been that the majority of bolt snaps and clips found at your average hardware store are crap and suffer corrosion after a time. And you don't really save a lot buying from Home Depot once you figure in the replacement cost.

If you don't have a dive shop that stocks good quality SS snaps, go visit a local marine supplier, or order online from a place like DGX or Cave Country Dive Shop.

My experience has been that the majority of bolt snaps and clips found at your average hardware store are crap and suffer corrosion after a time. And you don't really save a lot buying from Home Depot once you figure in the replacement cost.

If you don't have a dive shop that stocks good quality SS snaps, go visit a local marine supplier, or order online from a place like DGX or Cave Country Dive Shop.
Maybe they are saying to buy some cheap Home Depot snap bolts of different sizes just to find the most comfortable size with their gloves. Once the size has been found, go buy quality snap bolts.

I used to use a mid-sized snap with dry glove but switched to a small one and have no regrets. The decision to switch was because I realized that with my hand grabbing the primary hose, my thumb or pointing finger couldn't comfortably reach the snap gate/toggle/switch/ button thingy consistently without the hand stretching off the hose. Now, with hand firmly wrapped around hose, I can extend thumb/finger and reach gate with no problem. This was at first counter intuative, as a first thought a bigger snap would be easier with gloves. Note, for the primary snap, I don't try to get a finger in the eye when unsnapping, but rather I grab the hose and extend my thumb/ finger (for spg, I have a big eye on the snap and thread a finger through eye when unsnapping from d-ring).

I use regular size bolt snaps with my blue smurf gloves. Practice, practice, practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom