Bolt Snap for Regulator with thick dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am having trouble clipping off my primary reg during drills. I know it will get easier with practice but I also wanted to get a feel of what size bolt snap people are using with thick gloves. I use the blue smurf drygloves. Thanks!

I am having trouble clipping off my primary reg during drills. I know it will get easier with practice but I also wanted to get a feel of what size bolt snap people are using with thick gloves. I use the blue smurf drygloves. Thanks!

I use 3.5'' (for regulators)

Last edited:
depends on how big your hands are and how thick the undergloves are. You need one that ideally has a hole big enough to get a finger inside. Mine were #114's but I don't dive with dry gloves anymore. Rather annoying because they are quite big, but it's the only way I can get my finger in there since I have big hands. #34's are probably better for most people because they are shorter

Diving Snaps

if you aren't doing GUE or UTD training, then check this out as an alternative way to put the bolt snaps on the regulator which helps to keep things tame, especially with big bolt snaps

Just a note to your size choice for the clips, the bigger it is the more of a PIA it will be by your mouth. I used to have my students practice this skill while watching TV at home. I had them zip tie their first stage to the top of their back plate and the could practice clipping and un-clipping their primary with their liner and gloves on. After doing it for 15-20 minutes you will get the hang of it. Then do it every night and by the weekend your muscle memory will be there. There are some skills that need practice and clipping and un-clipping your equipment with gloves is a definite practice skill. Once you have that down then clipping and un-clipping your SPG to hour waist D-ring will be the next things to practice with your cloves.

Have you considered butterfly snaps?
34-Round-Swivel-Butterfly-Snap-SS
That's what I switched to. There are many on SB who argue they present an entanglement hazard much like carbiners. However, my cave instructors had no problems with them. I find they're vastly easier to use.

I use the small ones:
DX-60325.jpg

I also use the small ones from DGX, it takes some practice but after a while it becomes second naature

Has anyone else noticed the small DGX ones seems to have shrunk a little?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom