Boats with Marine Park permits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do dive ops and/or dive masters need to be licensed to work in the marine park, or is it just the boats?

That’s a complicated answer. Yes, in order to get permits, we have to provide all kinds of documentation including business licenses, insurance, current inspection, permits from harbor master, list of crew with captains license and Dm/Instructor credentials and alot more .

All DMs, Instructors and Captains must also have their marine park guide licenses to legally work in the park.

I am simply providing information that is available to the public so that people can make informed choices.

Since it's a small island, can I assume that illegal boats (boats without permits) are coming from another island or the mainland?

From Mainland and right here on the island.

With technology today, it's easy for someone to throw up a website nad a Facebook page and viola, they are "a business."

Last edited:
If someone wanted to get a permit for their boat, could they get one by meeting all the requirements, passing inspections, and paying a fee?

Or do they have to buy an existing permit from a current owner?

Is this about protecting the marine park or about restricting competition and driving up the cash value of an existing permit.

If they offered permits to any boat that meets the requirements and pays a fee, would this still be an issue?

Are there existing permits/boats available for sale?
Who are they being sold by, the marine park or the last owner of the permit?

Will one wealthy family eventually own all the permits as they buy them from struggling operators?

Are the permits limited in number based on any sort of scientific research to preserve the park?

Is this an example of existing businesses erecting barriers to entry for new competition?

I am not trolling, I am interested in how it all works. I have no plans to start a dive op, but might like to operate a sunset cruise boat in the future, which also needs a permit to operate in the park boundaries.

If someone wanted to get a permit for their boat, could they get one by meeting all the requirements, passing inspections, and paying a fee?

Or do they have to buy an existing permit from a current owner?

Is this about protecting the marine park or about restricting competition and driving up the cash value of an existing permit.

If they offered permits to any boat that meets the requirements and pays a fee, would this still be an issue?

Will one wealthy family eventually own all the permits as they buy them from struggling operators?

Are the permits limited in number based on any sort of scientific research to preserve the park?

Is this an example of existing businesses erecting barriers to entry for new competition?

I am not trolling, I am interested in how it all works. I have no plans to start a dive op, but might like to operate a sunset cruise boat in the future, which also needs a permit to operate in the park boundaries.
It appears you already know how it works.

I think Christi said the only way to get a permit was to transfer from an existing boat, which means no new permits are being issued. And I believe it's been stated here in the past the permit value is pretty high - tens of thousands of dollars.

I think Christi said the only way to get a permit was to transfer from an existing boat, which means no new permits are being issued. And I believe it's been stated here in the past the permit value is pretty high - tens of thousands of dollars.
The difference in US National Parks is that permits are issued every 2 years, based on merit, not on something that allows the permits to go up in value. If you want to charter in Dry Tortugas, Buck Island, St. John, etc, you apply for a permit, submit your application fee, wait and see if you got a permit. My permit applications were hundreds of pages. The permit is worthless, and not transferable.

When first formed, the Park (about 1995) did a survey of all known boat operators as to the boat size and seats for divers. It took that survey in and issued permits for all who were operating then. Permits can be sold, rented with certain restrictions but no new permits were to be issued. I still don't know how Aquaworld managed to come in later and have permits (but it is easy to guess).

One interesting aspect to the resale of permits is that it is not possible to split them up. IF you had a big boat with 24 permits you cannot split them up in 4 groups of 6. On the other hand you can combine smaller permits.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

NO, there is a moratorium on new permits and there has been for many years.

Or do they have to buy an existing permit from a current owner? YES

It's about limiting the number of boats in the park and those who do operate do so legally while respecting park regulations.

Not sure where you're going with this, but obtaining a MP permit requires the most paperwork of all of our permits to prove you are a legally operating business, have insurance, coverage for the crew & passengers, have a license to actually be in business and pay taxes, etc. They are renewed every two years and there have been boats who have lost their permits for various non-compliance reasons.

I am sure there are always people willing to sell boats/permits for a price. But the marina park also has to approve the transfer of any permits and must approve that the boat they are transferring to meets inspection, etc. WAY too much to go into here.

Last owner of the permit

No

Yes, but I don't have the details of that data.

Not at all - anyone who has the resources and who is willing to operate legally is welcome.

Answers above in the quote block

How silly of me to think that this post would be taken in the spirit posted - hahaha - I posted simply as information. for people to make informed choices. I'm not really available to go into much more discussion on this matter, but I do see some misinformation posted by others here about the MP and its responsibilities/function/jurisdiction.

For now, just please use the list as information - not to be judge, jury and prosecutor for the marine park, harbor master, Mexico, or anyone. Enforcement is a completely different issue and one that is being addressed.

Thank you and have a great day!

Last edited:

Yes, often the permits are worth more than the vessel itself - haha

Permits are valued by how many seats - approximate $3 - $4k a seat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom