boat size for michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maybe anchor, but if need be, stay loose to ride up n down. rather than anchoring to the bottom. there is also a bouy marking the wreck, so if it is legal, tie to it.

I cannot speak for that area but usually buoys are placed for tie off to. But, in this particular case I do not know.

Aside from drift diving (which does not really pertain to the Great Lakes) I do not think having the boat free and under power maneuvering in the area while divers are below is a good idea. It is real easy to loose divers in the water and can be even more difficult to find them again. If the weather and conditions are bad enough you cannot anchor then you should not be out there to begin with. Just my thinking on it. I don't like the idea of an inexperienced boater leaving a less experienced boater motoring around the area while divers are in the water (you), to much opportunity for mayhem and disaster.

You better get yourself at least a handheld VHF and GPS. Well, good luck.

N

I'll start off admitting to being a total novice when it comes to boats and boating. However, I've been on Superior more than a few times, and small boats just scare the bejezus out of me. Weather happens fast out there, and even when it's relatively calm, it's still relative.

I boat Lake Michigan quite a bit. It can be done with the boat you describe but unless you're always in that boat I wouldn't go out in it. Waves from larger passing vessels could flip it over. The weather and winds change way to quickly and if you're below you have no clue what is happening at the surface. How deep is the water where you're looking to dive? What are the bottom conditions, mud, sand, rocks? Anchoring usually requires about a 7 to 1 ratio of anchor rode to water depth. 30' of water might require over 200 feet of anchor rode. When I anchor near shore, 8'-10' deep I know I have about 70' of rode out. Look for something in the 20'-24' range to be safe. A deck boat would probably be better suited to you needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom