Boat or Shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've never dove Monterey and have a chance to do so. I'm taking my Mom to the aquarium on Monday so can I dive on Sunday. (In a week). I'm an experienced diver (0ver 100 dives) yet haven't dove cold water, also a photographer.

I'm trying to decide should I go on guided boat dives or guided shore dives.
#1 The boats that have openings are afternoon dives, are conditions usually better in the afternoon or Morning?
#2 Also the boat is doing "the Bay" are those sites the same as the shore dives in the bay?
#3 What are the best sites?
Thanks,
Dirtfarmer

I would recommend a guided shore dive; lots to see in just under 30ft. You will have lots of ambient Sun light to capture some really nice pics with the Kelps.

If you dive off the boat it usually will drop you off in 50+ feet and if its cloudy, you will lose natural light.

Both types of dives are stellar, but I would start off with some soft shore dives, if you can get into Point Lobos in Carmel, that would be ideal.

Along the Break Water in San Carlos beach would be nice for pics.

MG

I've never dove Monterey and have a chance to do so. I'm taking my Mom to the aquarium on Monday so can I dive on Sunday. (In a week). I'm an experienced diver (0ver 100 dives) yet haven't dove cold water, also a photographer.

I'm trying to decide should I go on guided boat dives or guided shore dives.
#1 The boats that have openings are afternoon dives, are conditions usually better in the afternoon or Morning?
#2 Also the boat is doing "the Bay" are those sites the same as the shore dives in the bay?
#3 What are the best sites?
Thanks,
Dirtfarmer

Generally better in the morning. The wind often picks up in the
afternoon.

The boats dive different sites than the beach dives.

The best boat dive sites, IMHO (I have my own boat and dive
about 70 days a year), are Ball-Buster, Anchors 2&3, and Shale
Island. The first two are not a good idea for someone
doing their first cold water dives.

Almost all guided dives are shore dives.

On the deeper dives, you can usually get under the layer of ugly
vis on top.

On http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/ you should read
the articles titled "Information for the certified diver who is new
to Monterey" and "Information on diving in kelp".

Thanks guys, I do have a strobe so ambient light is not as much as an issue.
I do have experience in very low visibility diving. Just not cold water diving.
It sounds as if I may opt to try and do Point Lobos. I've read about it a bit a tiny bit this whole trip is very last minute and I usually spend way more time planning.

For Point Lobos
Is it hard to get a permit ?
Does the dive shop I choose have permits?
Or is there a third party I have to go through?
Thanks again,
Dirtfarmer

Sorry, Dirtfarmer, I checked the calendar for you and found that Lobos is full next weekend. Can you take your mom to the aquarium Sunday and dive Monday? You would need to find a buddy, Lobos doesn't allow solo diving, but it's a worthwhile spot.

Thanks guys, I do have a strobe so ambient light is not as much as an issue.
I do have experience in very low visibility diving. Just not cold water diving.
It sounds as if I may opt to try and do Point Lobos. I've read about it a bit a tiny bit this whole trip is very last minute and I usually spend way more time planning.

For Point Lobos
Is it hard to get a permit ?
Does the dive shop I choose have permits?
Or is there a third party I have to go through?
Thanks again,
Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer,
Leave the camera. You'll have you hands full. Enjoy the scenery and the new environment and focus on getting your skills back. You'll be surprised how easy it is to have a runaway ascent because of the thick neoprene amount of ballast. Save the camera for another day.

Dirtfarmer,
Leave the camera. You'll have you hands full. Enjoy the scenery and the new environment and focus on getting your skills back. You'll be surprised how easy it is to have a runaway ascent because of the thick neoprene amount of ballast. Save the camera for another day.

I agree with Ben. 1st time I dove cold water (with over 100 warm water dives), last thing I needed was a camera in my hand. I'd do the first dive without the camera and see how it goes. Enjoy :)!

As someone who visits Monterey, but doesn't get to dive there often, I'd second the recommendation to dive Lobos if you can. You get a much more enjoyable experience of California coastal diving there than you are liking to get from the bay. That said, the bay is better than not diving, for sure.

There is an incredible, generous dive community there -- if you know which days you want to dive, I'm quite sure you can find people to dive with you and show you what Monterey has to offer.

Thanks everybody!! it looks like I will book a guide to take me to Lobos on Monday, go to the aquarium on Sunday. ( so far the schedule is open for the Monday).I'll leave the camera on shore the first dive and see where I'm at for the second dive. Seems like I really should do Lobos over all the other areas. Now I hope I can manage all the planning for the farm while I'm gone.
Thanks again!
Dirtfarmer

Thanks everybody!! it looks like I will book a guide to take me to Lobos on Monday, go to the aquarium on Sunday. ( so far the schedule is open for the Monday).I'll leave the camera on shore the first dive and see where I'm at for the second dive. Seems like I really should do Lobos over all the other areas. Now I hope I can manage all the planning for the farm while I'm gone.
Thanks again!
Dirtfarmer

I'd suggest contacting Bruce Sawyer at Aquarius Dive Shop on Del Monte (not to be
confused with Aquarius II at the Breakwater).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom