Boat Diving rules/hints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question is what does it hurt to simply keep a reg and mask on just for that one day something may not go right?

To me - I prefer to breath fresh air when I'm doing physical activity. The air flow from the reg is just not enough. Same with beach entries and exits: when I breathe from reg I get overexerted during heavy exercise.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2014 at 09:35 AM ----------

Because you might not fall cleanly. There are accounts of divers getting snagged when they fall and being held face down. When I am around water that is too deep for me to drink and there is a possibility of falling, there is always a reg in my mouth.

So, the diver gets snagged, both hands unable to move, falls face down, stays face down for a minute unable to move and nobody helps the diver. Scenario like that?

To me - I prefer to breath fresh air when I'm doing physical activity. The air flow from the reg is just not enough. Same with beach entries and exits: when I breathe from reg I get overexerted during heavy exercise.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2014 at 09:35 AM ----------

So, the diver gets snagged, both hands unable to move, falls face down, stays face down for a minute unable to move and nobody helps the diver. Scenario like that?

Diver falls coming up ladder, halls, hurts himself becomes distressed, flapping about in the water, maybe the boat's in a swell, maybe there's nobody behind in the water and the others are on the boat de-kitting... having a reg in the mouth can make the situation much less distressing. I like fresh air, but I can manage breathing from a reg while I climb the ladder and I am happy to suffer a few seconds for the sake of safety.

Know your boats name, and the channel it keeps it's radio on. Knowing only one of these (or neither!!) makes it much harder for another boat to find your boat for you, if necessary.

Don't straighten your leg if you roll off the boat. The giant painful bruise on my leg taught me that one really well!

The most important thing the learn about boat diving:

You are not the only diver on the boat.

-Do not spread your gear all over the place
-Do not spread your gear in the middle of the passageway and block all traffic
-Do not leave your gear spread all over the seats
-Do not stand in the middle of pasageways and block all traffic

I HAD to quote this one. For the very last line. This seems to ALWAYS happen. Who ARE these people?!?! Oh wait--It's the same ones you find here & there in the supermarket.

remember that there are many different kinds of boats. You might be diving from a big dive boat with an easy flip down pair of ladders, you might have one with a dive platform for recovery and a ladder, you might have a ladder that just hangs over the edge (like on a Filipino banka), you might have a fold down aluminum one with hand holds, you might have a RIB, and have to actually play 'Flipper' by swimming and flopping over the side. There are all kinds.... just remember that all boats are different, and getting off and in again are part of the game.

I've found that a lot of operators don't mind if you hand your camera and weight up, and then dump your BCD/tank while still in the water... if they do this, be courteous and FROM THE SIDE, give a little assist as they pull your rig from the water... then you are free to wait your turn at the ladder. I know in the Philippines, this is the preferred way to get on the boat because it saves time. It is actually easier for the boatmen to take your rigs and organized them safely before divers climb aboard. And divers who climb up ladders fully geared, are SLOWER than those with their gear removed, and then have the problem of getting their gear off on a small, and already crowded deck.

I think that's my other recommendation. Know the boat you are using... in smaller craft, space is usually a premium, so consider what it means to be flopping around with 70# of gear on while your companions dodge you.

---------- Post added October 10th, 2014 at 01:26 AM ----------

I dive with FM1520 quite often, and I have to say I agree with RJP, but this is how I put in place. I surface, any chop, surface current etc. and mask stays on my face and reg stays in my mouth, until I'm climbing the ladder at a minimum. Now if I surface, and conditions are like a pond, and my wing is holding air , and I'm bobbing at the surface waiting my turn on the ladder, then I'm likely to have mask on neck and reg in my hand, talking about the dive, if I do fall off the ladder I'm inflated and not sinking. I think it's all about using good dive sense, and unfortunately that can be pretty hard to come by on a lot of dive boats!

well, there is this seldom used piece of equipment called a snorkel, that is meant to be connected to the mask? I agree that until you are on the boat, your mask shouldn't be removed. And that would mean you have your snorkel.

In many places in Asia, you can't keep your reg in your mouth and you need to remove your rig in the water so they can pull it aboard and store it before loading each diver. Luckily, heavy swell and waves are not the norm in this scenario, so a snorkel can manage the air supply issues.

The primary way for most smaller boats in Asia is

1) cameras
2) weight belt
3) BCD/tank (assist as they pull it up - just don't be directly below the tank)
4) once it's your turn at the ladder, remove your fins, hand them up,
5) climb the ladder, find a seat out of the way
6) remove your mask

That's pretty much how it goes, any other way ends up with divers stomping all over others, banging people in face with a tank, etc.

Who ARE these people?!?! Oh wait--It's the same ones you find here & there in the supermarket.

They can also be found, stopped, at the very bottom of a moving escalator.

---------- Post added October 9th, 2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

Know your boats name, and the channel it keeps it's radio on.

In the US, channel 16 is the channel you want to know in an emergency - it's the one the Coast Guard monitors and broadcasts on. Accordingly, it should be the channel the boat keeps the radio on when they are not specifically talking to someone else on a different channel.

Radio Information For Boaters

---------- Post added October 9th, 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

A.) The back of a diesel-powered, bilge pump-equipped dive boat wouldn't be the first place I think of when I think "breathing fresh air."
B.) You either need your regs worked on, or a personal trainer.

---------- Post added October 9th, 2014 at 06:37 PM ----------

Take a "dry" bag and put it in the dry area.

BTW - there's no such thing as a "dry area" on a boat. I'm just saying...

In the US, channel 16 is the channel you want to know in an emergency - it's the one the Coast Guard monitors and broadcasts on. Accordingly, it should be the channel the boat keeps the radio on when they are not specifically talking to someone else on a different channel.
It's 16 on the East side of the pond, too.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Reactions: RJP

Radio Information For Boaters

I've never dove on a boat in the US, but good to know.

In Mexico, all the boats were on different channels (and these were non-emergencies. Just divers who surfaced and their boat didn't see them), and not knowing which one to ask for, meant you stayed bobbing up and down for a long time while the captain tried to find your boat. Or, just book with an op who has a good reputation of picking you up within 10 seconds of surfacing...no radio calls necessary. Some boats seemed to lose track of divers more than others.

Back
Top Bottom