Boat Diving rules/hints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We tell them to keep all gear in place until they're back on the boat, but there's always someone who knows better. It would be funny to watch them desperately try to retrieve their reg - especially if they've dutifully clipped it off - if I didn't know that I'd have to jump in to save someone's ass one out of ten times.

I understand the idea and if I'm doing something that requires two hands like grabbing the ladder, my reg is in my pie hole. Common sense, that's the best reg holder and if I slip off the ladder, I can still breathe. That said, if I'm hanging on a tagline with five people if front of me, I don't appreciate a DM on a power trip chirping at me if I pull my reg out to talk to my dive buddy. That's a bit "catholic school" for me. :D

... That said, if I'm hanging on a tagline with five people if front of me, I don't appreciate a DM on a power trip chirping at me if I pull my reg out to talk to my dive buddy…

That’s usually where I put my mask on my forehead and continue the discussion.

I let the DM take my equipment from me, and change the tank.

Two other things I was taught.

If the crew member asks you to hand up your weights, do not let go till they actually say, "Got it."

Sometimes the crew member will ask you for your fins. Looking at the scenario where a diver gets tossed off the ladder, it would be handy to have those fins slipped over your wrists or clipped off. It is easy to find yourself on the other side of a swell, needing a way to kick back to the boat.

Here's one that I don't think I've seen: especially if there are any waves, the tank is always either bungeed in or being steadied by a hand. The exception is when you've bungeed off just before donning your BC. Some dive boats have tank holders but more often I've seen benches & bungees.

Remove the bungee from the tank before attaching your regulator. Then put the bungee back on over the valve & reg.

Understand entry and exit characteristics of the boat. In NC we kept all gear on, including fins, until on the dive step (the ladder rungs extended from a center mast so you could climb the ladder while wearing fins). In the FL Keys we handed up our fins before climbing.

I have nausea issues. I use the Prevent Motion Sickness - Transderm Sc?p® - Clinically Proven Motion Sickness Patches patch. It's by prescription only. If you wear hood it'll be ok but if you dive without you'll want some good medical grade tape to help hold it on.

Also before diving I wont eat greasy foods, bacon, sausage, any greasy fast food or any citric drinks (orange juice). Food like Subway or Jimmie Johns works for me :p

As others has said listen to the briefings. Especially getting back on the boat. I don't have many dives under my belt <20 but I've been on 5 different dive boats and they all do things differently.

Also, I tend to get sick :yuck::yuck: best non-medicine methods?!

Ginger works for many people. You can buy (or easily make your own) candied ginger How to Make Candied Ginger | The Feed

gingercandy1.jpg

Trader Joe's "Triple Ginger Snaps" are also good, as they contain plenty of real ginger. In fact, they are apparently the #1 most popular selling item at Trader Joe's, according to this article A Stunning Look at the 17 Most Popular Items at Trader Joe's which describes the cookies as a "deep, savory, ginger orgy"

IMG_7242.jpg

I agree with the ginger. Works wonders and doesn't taste too bad if it comes back out again. I've always been the sick one on the boat and it sucks. Cheers

My daughter used to have seasick troubles. It seems to be a huge help if you start taking the seasickness pills well before leaving the dock, even starting the night before.
Good webpage: google "Doc Vikingo's seasickness remedies". It's very helpful.

My daughter used to have seasick troubles. It seems to be a huge help if you start taking the seasickness pills well before leaving the dock, even starting the night before.
Good webpage: google "Doc Vikingo's seasickness remedies". It's very helpful.

I take 1/2 a meclazine tablet before going to bed, half when I wake up, and half when I get to the dock an hour or so later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom