Boat Diving Prices Increasing - Because Waistlines Increasing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha I've been on plenty of full dive boats, but quit traveling with that group. I bet her prices to customers go up dramatically.

Most of "her" trips are not on US flagged boats. Remember, folks, this only affects US boats that are inspected. That's one of the perks you get when diving a US boat, that is, the fact that it CAN"T be overloaded. Other countries, not so much. Didn't you ever wonder why US boats are so small and crowded? It's because we can't add that third deck without danger of blowing over in a hurricane. Remember that next time you get on that big luxury boat with ensuite heads that was inspected last time by a flag state inspector who received a 6 pack, a plane ticket to the shipyard, and a check made out to him, personally.

halemanō;5856267:
Evidently in recent years there have been some charter dive boats that capsized (East Coast?), and they were not exceeding their Federally Regulated passenger capacity.

Never heard of a dive boat on the East coast capsizing. Certainly not due excess weight on board.

That's one of the perks you get when diving a US boat, that is, the fact that it CAN"T be overloaded. Other countries, not so much. Didn't you ever wonder why US boats are so small and crowded? It's because we can't add that third deck without danger of blowing over in a hurricane. Remember that next time you get on that big luxury boat with ensuite heads that was inspected last time by a flag state inspector who received a 6 pack, a plane ticket to the shipyard, and a check made out to him, personally.
I don't guess this will affect your boat will it, since you had already cut back well below maximums. I've never been on your old sister boat that still does the Flower Gardens; I bet it is cozy, but will be less so with this rule?

Some foreign liveaboards have 3 decks above water? :shocked2: Spooky. When you leave the US, you leave the US...!!

Everyone's maximums are based on something different (the standards suck). My stability test was done to the old new standards, weight limit 165 lbs per person, and "wind heel", or the amount of side force wind has on the boat. The Flings stability letter is based on older standards, weight still 165 lbs, and 22 long tons of cargo. Part of the new rules may be that a stability test must be done every 10 years. The expense is considerable, about $20k for the design of the test, and about $5k for the conduct. Luckily, I have the design from last time, so I won't need a new design every time, just the test to verify nothing changed. I can still, BTW, carry 149 passengers. How's that for a cattle boat?

Typical of the government "helping" or "protecting" us. Every new regulation drives up prices.

I was going to suggest you find a cozy 3rd world country to move to, but it looks like you already have.

Hello all: The chart that was posted is the BMI or Body Mass Index. The following link will take you to the US National Institute of Health (NIH) version along with a far more comprehensive explanation then I am likely to type at 0630.

NHLBI, Obesity Guidelines - Evidence Tables

Oh, and Bob, our local parachuting operation does charge by the pound for every pound over 200 lbs. (which may have something to do with the fact I haven't gone parachuting yet, lol)

Michael

Hello all: The chart that was posted is the BMI or Body Mass Index. The following link will take you to the US National Institute of Health (NIH) version along with a far more comprehensive explanation then I am likely to type at 0630.

NHLBI, Obesity Guidelines - Evidence Tables

Oh, and Bob, our local parachuting operation does charge by the pound for every pound over 200 lbs. (which may have something to do with the fact I haven't gone parachuting yet, lol)

Michael
The Grand Canyon mule trains have a 200# maximum for riders and they do weigh. :( I certainly wouldn't want to take a horse down those trails, but mules are different. My dad plowed with mules when he was a child.

Heh, as a woman, 5'4" and when I was in the military at my best I weighed 180 lbs and I was very fit then. This chart is kinda biased. At 110-140lbs I would literally be nothing but bones. No thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom