Boat Diving Prices Increasing - Because Waistlines Increasing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The owner of the dive boat I work for informs me I should make a priority of bringing a buddy and diving for fun on my days off, for the rest of this year!

The reason he made this statement is because as of 2012, USCG Regulations are changing with regards to dive boat passenger loads. The formula is being updated; it seems to take into consideration the considerably heavier dive boat passenger of today.

Under the old formula, our boat qualifies for 13 diving passengers, 2 diving crew and a Captain. Under the new formula, our boat qualifies for 10.8 diving passengers, 2 diving crew and a Captain (no rounding up, at least with regards to the passenger number :kiss2:).

Evidently in recent years there have been some charter dive boats that capsized (East Coast?), and they were not exceeding their Federally Regulated passenger capacity.

Same amount of fuel, same number of crew, 3 less paying customers; fuel prices rising, cost of living for crew rising, less passengers = significantly higher price of passage! :shocked2:

halemanō;5856218:
Many divers fall short of the fitness standard they should meet, at ALL levels of diving.

Many humans fall short of the fitness standard they should meet, at ALL levels of human endeavor. :shakehead:

I don't think I have ever been on a dive boat even close to being full (Fla, Roatan, Cozumel, Bahamas). Maybe I have been lucky, but I suspect that is very often the case.

There are many days of the year when every dive boat working Maui waters is full. There are lots of other days here when the most recommended dive boats are full.

If you only come to Maui in early October or early June, you might not find a full dive boat. :idk:

I've been on maybe a couple of full boats (8?). Mostly 4-5, though. Our charter guy here chages $50 Can. (about $52 US now, come on guys, get your dollar back up....). Don't know how he does it. Then I get South and it's $100 and up for a 2 tank dive....

The rule actually changes on December 1. It had nothing to do with a dive charter capsizing, but a ferry in Baltimore and a tour boat on Lake George, NY.

Yep, Wookie nailed it....

Haha I've been on plenty of full dive boats, but quit traveling with that group. I bet her prices to customers go up dramatically.

Last edited:
I have hit the cattle boat I think one time in Cozumel. I spent most of my free time chasing down distressed divers due to the fact that 22 of the 24 divers onboard were newer divers and panicked in the water.

Not that I mind any because helping divers calm down and be able to enjoy the sport is a gift in itself but the fact is the boat was standing room only almost. We had 1 tank each and a smaller craft ferried out the second tanks for us simply because we had no more room. Never want to do that again!

halemanō;5856267:
The owner of the dive boat I work for informs me I should make a priority of bringing a buddy and diving for fun on my days off, for the rest of this year!

The reason he made this statement is because as of 2012, USCG Regulations are changing with regards to dive boat passenger loads. The formula is being updated; it seems to take into consideration the considerably heavier dive boat passenger of today.

Under the old formula, our boat qualifies for 13 diving passengers, 2 diving crew and a Captain. Under the new formula, our boat qualifies for 10.8 diving passengers, 2 diving crew and a Captain (no rounding up, at least with regards to the passenger number :kiss2:).

Evidently in recent years there have been some charter dive boats that capsized (East Coast?), and they were not exceeding their Federally Regulated passenger capacity.

Same amount of fuel, same number of crew, 3 less paying customers; fuel prices rising, cost of living for crew rising, less passengers = significantly higher price of passage! :shocked2:

... maybe they should start charging by the pound ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have hit the cattle boat I think one time in Cozumel. I spent most of my free time chasing down distressed divers due to the fact that 22 of the 24 divers onboard were newer divers and panicked in the water.

Not that I mind any because helping divers calm down and be able to enjoy the sport is a gift in itself but the fact is the boat was standing room only almost. We had 1 tank each and a smaller craft ferried out the second tanks for us simply because we had no more room. Never want to do that again!

Seriously, do you really think you were needed to chase down distressed divers? What do you think they do the other 364 days of the year you are not there and ever since your one time on a "cattle boat" ?

I sort of enjoy diving on cattle boats, find them amusing, entertaining and I mind my business and don't chase anyone down and lest they chase me down, I don't fillet anyone with my SeaHawk.

The increasing girth of people, in particular Americans, is quite distressing and remarkable that people will apparently eat themselves to the point of becoming literally handicapped by their excessive weight. Intestinal tracts with legs and heads. :idk:

bmi-chart.png

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom