Boat Diving in Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why you would be complacent to violation of a federal statute by not reporting the name of a registered vessel to the coast guard.

By not reporting this, you are potentially placing other divers at risk of getting hit with a prop in the future, the next time the skipper of that boat decides to head over to whytecliff.

Just for the sake of discussion, what jurisdiction has recognized/ accredited whytcliff as a park?? Just to use a squirt-gun of diesel on the fire, remember the mess surrounding Kelvin and the regulations they tried to place over the foreshore?? AFAIK, If the "parkness" is ceded by W.Vancouver Parks ONLY (as I seem to remember the shore park as being), then there is a potential problem with jurisdiction over legally controlling the rights of passage for vessels in the bay... Perhaps we need to look into this matter a bit since WV only has jurisdiction down to High High water and beyond that is typically federal unless it is already granted marine park status.

That said, the provincial park @ Porteau is a safer place since it is clearly marked both physically by buoys and by chart notation that shows up all paper Navigation and GPS e-charts... NO EXCUSES for anyone to say oops.

With the sheer volume of divers in general, and more specifically those in training, coupled with the generally accepted practice of not running dive flags in that park, we really ought to make certain the area is recognized both generally and officially. What would the individual instructor's professional liability be if a student had gone up under that boat and been injured?? No outward indication of that being a protected area and no diver down/ alpha flags... who gets/wants to own that problem??

[/rambling mental drivel]

Actually, I assumed it was DFO, but I'm looking into it.

And Rutger, I already explained myself.

And it's "she".

Edit: Whytecliff is protected under the federal Fisheries Act and therefore is DFO's responsibility.

Last edited:
That said, the provincial park @ Porteau is a safer place since it is clearly marked both physically by buoys and by chart notation that shows up all paper Navigation and GPS e-charts... NO EXCUSES for anyone to say oops.

I might be wrong about TC (and it being DFO), but something I just read about how you're supposed to need a permit to teach a class at porteau?

I do not believe the two departments are one, though they do work together.

And I'm not quite sure, Vince. This is the case at Cates' Park in North Van. Perhaps it is in regards to the Olympics, though from what I understand it is simply shut down for the duration (which could be very wrong, indeed).

according to Transport Canada....

"A local group, association or municipality that wants to implement a restriction should obtain information about application procedures from the provincial government authority designated by the federal government. The request for a restriction requires that the need for the implementation of a restriction be assessed and that public consultation be held at the local level. A resolution to adopt a restriction is then forwarded to the designated provincial authority which, in turn, applies for federal approval by Privy Council for inclusion in the Boating Restriction Regulations."
(The Boating Restriction Regulations - A Boater's Guide to Signage - Publications - Resources & References - Office of Boating Safety - Design, Equipment & Boating Safety - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada)

I might be wrong about TC (and it being DFO), but something I just read about how you're supposed to need a permit to teach a class at porteau?

We ran into parks board operators who were refilling the TP rolls in the outhouses while we were holding classes on a the beach of a favoured site (Piper's Point) directly across the bay from Tuwannek... They threatened us with big fines and lots of meanness if we came back again without a use permit.

Basically it's the Provincial Parks' way of making sure no one enjoys their parks too much. It boils down to the fact that they spent taxpayer money to build and maintain the facilities while commercial operators (such as someone holding a class or selling a boat charter or kayak guide even) reap benefits from said improvements without paying their 'share' of the costs of upkeep. The fees we were quoted on inquiring were obscene considering the amount of benefit from teaching a couple times a year on that beach... we just went elsewhere by zodiac.

Last edited:
If the vessel is commercial, and you stated it had no reg #. Here is the Transport Canada query system, it might be a place to start.
Vessel Registration Query System
U/O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom