Boat Diving in Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nessum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I don't mean to be confrontational (well, perhaps a little), but I was out with a few others today diving Whytecliff (and what a beautiful day for it) and as we were packing up our gear someone pointed out a boat in the bay. At first I assumed it was a misguided rental boat as occasionally happens (but this time of year), until I saw that it was substantially larger.

A couple of us went down to the beach to investigate only to find that they were doing a live-drop with divers (still in the bay, directly off the left wall). There had been at least one other, if not two other, groups of divers in the parking lot today and I wasn't sure if anyone was still in the water or not (likely not expecting to surface with a propellor churning overhead).

So I got their attention and informed them that no boat traffic was permitted in the bay :no: to which they responded that they could not hear me. Uh huh, sure. Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt I repeated myself at a higher volume. They finished dropping the divers and sort of backed off. They circled once and eventually waited just outside of the bay.

Unfortunately, I had to get going, but I did want to stick around to see just what happened on the egress. The boat had no number on the side, only a name (which I don't need to share publicly).

I am posting this for several reasons. Firstly, to REMIND everyone that Whytecliff is a protected area, that this kind of activity is not permitted by law and that there is a serious safety concern to other divers (especially newer divers, that feel comfortable at Whytecliff). Secondly, to let everyone know that this has occurred and who knows if they will return, and to exercise more caution than might be typical within the bay (we all know we should always exercise caution, but it this is not a normal concern and we can often feel like we're in our own backyard in the bay) Thirdly, if you know these divers, perhaps you could enlighten them because next time I'll be making a phone call or two to the appropriate authorities.

Oh yeah, and finally, if one has a boat to dive off of in Howe Sound, WHY would one choose the BAY??? I understand it is sheltered, but I'm sure a little research would turn up something not quite so accessible from shore to try for a change, no? Boggled my mind.

Last edited:
That was my thought - why would you dive Whytecliff from a boat????

In any event if you are not familiar with the area and in a boat it is not particularly obvious that Whytecliff is a restricted area.

darnold has a point there...

the signage visible from waterside is ???? I have not seen marine park delineation buoys blocking the area off... refresh my memory if I am wrong... it has been a couple months since my last whytcliff escapade

Yeah the operator ought to have been a bit more respectful especially if it is a registered name boat vs 13k/BC# reggie. A registered vessel with pax indicates that a competant master ought to be at the helm- not a rental hero...

Perhaps there is a way we as a dedicated user group could appy (possibly with some sort of 1$ per head / per dive student levvy...this is how we got the park buoys installed in Sint Maarten, NA) voluntarily submitted to a fund to influence W. Van parks to purchase, install and so designate as an official no vessel restricted area such as Porteau's maritime /provincial park?? It is definitely not a high boat traffic area so the loss to 'other users' would be very limited and the safety benefit to divers and swimmers alike is blatant.

just a thought... I know especially drysuit vict--err students like to go up and play on the surface at the darnedest points of a training dive...

As the others said, it may have been a genuine mistake (initially, though I don't believe for a second they couldn't hear me). If they return a public tar & feathering may be appropriate, however.

Tre, I like the idea of raising funds ourselves - it is something to look into; but for the record Whytecliff is already a marine park (like Porteau), clearly marked as such from the water or not.

One time we thought we had lost a diver at the cut so we flagged a boat that called the CG. They responded with the hovercraft and drove it right into the bay and up onto the beach. I remember thinking at the time what a pleasant surprise that would have been for someone doing their safety stop :shocked2:

Unfortunately, I had to get going, but I did want to stick around to see just what happened on the egress. The boat had no number on the side, only a name (which I don't need to share publicly).
If I was on a boat with a captain (or otherwise with a shop) who was known to make BAD decisions that put divers in jeopardy, I'd like to know.

What was the boat's name?

I am relatively certain that this was a private vessel for several reasons: I had never heard of it, nor has anyone else I have spoken to. Google search hasn't turned up any info on it.

And, like I said it may have been an honest mistake. True, I doubt this, but I still I feel it would be inappropriate for me to name names on the board.

If you are particularly concerned for one reason or another about the boat you may be getting on, I'd be happy to discuss it in a private message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom