Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to setup my own gear. If a crew member starts touching my gear, I watch them, then thoroughly check everything (I also check when I do it myself). I hold the bc in the air and give it a few good shakes to make sure the tank is secure, check regulators, inflator, routing, etc. etc. When I'm ready to jump in and somebody touches ANYTHING on my kit, I check my regulators and inflator again - I've heard too many stories of people having their valves turned from on to off.

That being said, I've seen lots of people on vacation who have no clue how to do it. The people here on scubaboard are enthusiasts... either regular or diligent divers - at least more so than the dive once every 2-3 years or more type of person. If they don't know how to set up their kit, I don't think it's necessary for them to pay for a refresher course every time before they dive, but I do think they should know how to check all their stuff properly before they jump in the water. I think it falls into the Darwin Award category if you strap weights to yourself and jump in without taking a breath from your reg first to make sure you have air... it's just common sense!

In the end and in general, I would say it IS good customer service for the crew to setup your gear (or at least offer to do it), but it is then you're responsibility to CHECK IT!! But I'd also say it's not bad customer service if they don't. It would only be bad if you asked for help and they said "no".

Reactions: Doc
I always figured that a smart crew would observe divers setting up their own gear and use it to spot the divers that might need a little extra hand holding.

Not be be negative, but divers lie about experience and qualifications and tend to boast about their skills at times. C-cards don't mean much anymore, so the ability to quietly observe and decide who might need some extra help is nice.

I don't want anyone touching my gear, but I recheck it regardless before I splash anyway. I don't trust myself much more than anyone else.

Boat crew at vacation resorts seem to have some problems setting up my equipment ... seems most of them have never seen a hogarthian setup before. So on those rare occasions where I can't talk them out of letting me set up my equipment, I just kick back, let them do their thing, and then go "fix" it after they're done.

I learned long ago ... when on vacation, go with the flow ... it makes everyone's experience more pleasant ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - I'm curious why this is in the Advanced Scuba Discussions forum ... relying on someone else to set up your gear for you isn't my idea of advanced scuba diving ... :idk:

Meh....no biggie with me. Some crews may offer the service just to be helpful but I suspect the real reason is to keep the trip organized. On a recent trip to Maui I found a common thread on all the boats I was on. They took your gear and set it up for you. While they were doing that you got a pre-boarding briefing and once on board the other briefings took place. Because divers were not fussing with their gear the crew knew they had a more attentive crowd. After they were done then you had the chance to check your and your buddies gear and tweak to your hearts content. I like what NWGD Bob said.."When on vacation, go with the flow"

I have had it happen at a few places in south east Asia. I have not had anyone set it up to begin with they will have you set it up the first time then they just switch tanks for you. I let them do that but then still do a thorough check of everything on it before I put it on to make sure everything is where I want it to be and how I want it to be. That being said everytime it has been a DM or instructor that we have on the boat that is doing this not the boat crew. i found it odd the first time that it happened but now I have seen it a few times and its not all bad, but the diver should be responsible enough to check the kit before they splash, after all its your life.

In my experience, it is pretty common in Southeast Asia for day-boat crews to set up their customer's gear. It is also common for the divers to set it up for the first dive and have the crew swap fresh tanks the rest of the day. One of the first thing a manager has to learn to be successful is to delegate responsibility. I am okay delegating the gear set-up to the boat crew. Just like back at the office though, I check their work.

:no: No, no, no, no,. no. Do not touch my kit.

If your divers want/allow someone else to set up their kit :signofcross:

I set up my own gear. I have my own routine that I just prefer not to change.

I am a new diver and can say I prefer to set up my own gear. I am comfortable with it and not sure I would like trusting someone else. Everyone has different equipment styles, etc. What if they missed something on mine that causes me trouble later? I don't want them to be responsible. More importantly, I don't want to be surprised by a situation I thought was handled. Only a diver should be responsible for their gear.

Besides, if I always have someone else set up my gear, how can I expect to be comfortable enough with my setup to fix it if something happens underwater where the boat crew CAN'T help me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom