Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to set up my own gear, and I do express my desire to do so when boarding a boat...but, I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape over it if the crew does it for me. I will double check anything they set up, and probably politely remind them that I prefer to do it myself...no sense in getting all pissy about it.

I think this misses the point of crew setting up gear. I can get my own margarita, but when I'm on vacation, I like somebody to do it for me. Ditto those cold towels by the pool. Some people want to be pampered on vacation, and dive operators are catering to them, which makes good business sense.

I am, by the way, happy to set up my own gear...or not.

I disagree when it comes to diving. Divers need to be familiar with all thier equipment and how it works and connects together. Dive ops trying to "pamper" guests divers has resulted in divers that don't know how assemble thier gear. One of the first things taught in OW and they can't even do that. If you can't set up your own gear, I have ZERO faith in your ability to check your air supply during the dive, watch your depth on the wall, or be able to provide your alternate in an OOA.

As for the dive ops saying "no one has ever complained" speaks more to the fact that most people choose to avoid conflict. They would rather say nothing, re-inspect all thier gear and dive than make a fuss. They are trying to enjoy a vacation after all.

Personally, I have two preferences...1) I do my own set-up and 2) nobody touches my equipment unless it is my dive buddy as part of the pre-dive check. I dive with a plate and wing and I know where I want the tank to sit for trim and head/valve clearance. The only two exceptions are to hand me my camera from the camera bucket and rinse my mask.

I do not need folks to purge my regs, inflate my wing and especially play with my valve.

I think this misses the point of crew setting up gear. I can get my own margarita, but when I'm on vacation, I like somebody to do it for me. Ditto those cold towels by the pool. Some people want to be pampered on vacation, and dive operators are catering to them, which makes good business sense.

I am, by the way, happy to set up my own gear...or not.

Nope. If you are on vacation, you can be pampered. You will have waiters to bring your margaritas and towels, and servers for just about anything else.
My porters will certainly schlep your gear to and from the boat. But you will set your gear. It is your responsibility as a diver. I want you familiar with the gear, if it is not your own. I don't want you to be able to claim that my poor crew broke something on your gear or failed to set it properly and caused you harm. I want my crew to be crew and not servants. My DM's are highly trained professionals, not maids and I let them be exactly what they are. You can be pampered during your poolside massage. My DM's are there to facilitate a safe enjoyable dive for all divers.

On the other hand what kind of diver are you if you can't quickly check they typical recreational BC and regulator on a single AL80 after someone has assembled it on the tank for you? Like someone said before, it aint rocket science.

Some small day boats are very awkward as far as tank storage goes. Sometimes more damage can be done if you don't have a little help from the people who do it every day.

Actually my crew would be very familiar with a BP/W and and long hose if you have that, they are also instructed to watch for AI units and how to properly handle them. But we never insist on anything (except safety issues) if you want the tank delivered for you to set up thats what you get.
The key is your staff must be prepared to offer the service and trained to offer the correct service but know that every customer will be a bit different and want things their way.
Our customers range from vacation divers to hard core tech divers - most of the staff dives BP/W long hose and are either tech certified or at least very familiar with tech gear, but also the full range of recreational gear is taught so that our staff can offer the service that our customers expect. You have to come over and check out the diving here some of the best in Asia.

Just curious ... have you had many sidemount customers? How does your crew deal with their setup?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
I don't even want anyone checking my valves!

I set it up
I check it
I DOUBLE check it
I DIVE with it!

I'll swap my tanks out (if necessary)

I'll take it all apart

Don't touch my stuff!

Easy enough.

Train your crew how to set up kit but continue to brief your customers that they should do it themselves. As such, you've covered your bases.

If you are on vacation, you can be pampered. You will have waiters to bring your margaritas and towels, and servers for just about anything else.
My porters will certainly schlep your gear to and from the boat. But you will set your gear. It is your responsibility as a diver. I want you familiar with the gear, if it is not your own. I don't want you to be able to claim that my poor crew broke something on your gear or failed to set it properly and caused you harm. I want my crew to be crew and not servants. My DM's are highly trained professionals, not maids and I let them be exactly what they are. You can be pampered during your poolside massage. My DM's are there to facilitate a safe enjoyable dive for all divers.
All of this makes sense. I have no problem with your reasoning, but I think I did not make myself clear in my prior post. Implicit in this post:
As a dive op, we refuse to set up your gear. If you cannot set up you kit, you need a refresher. I will certainly help troubleshoot, explain different gear, if rental, and pass over tanks, but we will Not set your gear.
is the idea that divers get their gear set up for them because they can't do it themselves. I guess you will agree that there are many who are quite capable of setting up their gear but are happy to have the crew do it for them.

I prefer to set up my own equipment and always double check if someone else sets it up. On one dive, we closed 3 cam bands that were left open by the crew doing set up. Also, my Ranger seems to be a little fussy in that if the tank is mounted too low in the cam bands, I get air trapped in the right side of the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom