Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a shop owner and consultant to resorts all over Asia - I would not have any person on the boat who could not set up gear. How long does it take to teach a crew to do it? We are talking about attaching a BC and a reg not the theory of relativity. Most vacation divers prefer to have their gear set up for them- those who are adamant against it will tell you. Also a crew trained in how gear should be set up will also be able to spot when something is wrong and correct it before the diver is in the water.

On our boat we normally have set the customers gear near their tank and have them set up the first tank- this gives us an idea of if they know what they are doing many time but not always. I have had many divers tell me - "the crew always sets it up, I don't know how" Then one of the crew is right there to do it for them. Some of these people turn out to be fine divers once in the water- some not so much. The second and third dives many times it is quicker and easier for the crew to change tanks on the now crowded moving deck on the dive sites rather than tied to the dock.

In over 15 years of doing this - have not had anyone get irate of angry about having the tank changed for them- have seen complaints when it has not been done. In the balance of things as a manager or owner I would rather deal with complaints that my staff is too helpful than not enough. Having a well trained staff that is knowledgeable about their jobs goes a long way to avoiding complaints and issues. Your boat crew knowing how to set up gear is would be a key step in moving in that direction.

In over 15 years of doing this - have not had anyone get irate of angry about having the tank changed for them
I suspect that a lot of those who become irritated over the prospect of having their gear set up confine their pique to the internet. Or they don't dive with operators who practice it, so it is a largely hypothetical objection. I have never seen anybody make an issue of it on a boat.

As a shop owner and consultant to resorts all over Asia - I would not have any person on the boat who could not set up gear. How long does it take to teach a crew to do it? We are talking about attaching a BC and a reg not the theory of relativity. Most vacation divers prefer to have their gear set up for them- those who are adamant against it will tell you.

The second and third dives many times it is quicker and easier for the crew to change tanks on the now crowded moving deck on the dive sites rather than tied to the dock.

Since I'm mainly diving Asia (although not yet southern Japan), I want to offer my perspective on your comments.

If you're primarily working with resorts and vacation divers, it doesn't surprise me that most of your customers want your crew to set up their equipment. With a well-trained crew, using equipment they are familiar with (rental gear), then I can see how it is both safe and efficient to do it this way. And I agree with you, on the 2nd and 3rd dives and a rolling boat, it's better to have experienced crew handling the tanks instead of a bunch of divers stumbing around.

But if I climb onto one of your boats, with my bp/w and regulator set (with an AI unit attached to my first stage), I'm not going to hand these over to anyone. They stay with me. When it's time to set things up (for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time), I'm going to politely tell your crew that I would greatly appreciate it if they could deliver the tank to where I'm sitting, but that I will set things up myself. Even if your crew is familiar with a bp/w, they are not familiar with my hose routing, the height I want the tank mounted for trim reasons, or my weight attachments. And I would be worried they might lift everything by the AI unit.

I appreciate good service, and help with heavy tanks. But I've met boat captains who insist everything must be done their way. Hopefully, you would be more flexible :-^).

Actually my crew would be very familiar with a BP/W and and long hose if you have that, they are also instructed to watch for AI units and how to properly handle them. But we never insist on anything (except safety issues) if you want the tank delivered for you to set up thats what you get.
The key is your staff must be prepared to offer the service and trained to offer the correct service but know that every customer will be a bit different and want things their way.
Our customers range from vacation divers to hard core tech divers - most of the staff dives BP/W long hose and are either tech certified or at least very familiar with tech gear, but also the full range of recreational gear is taught so that our staff can offer the service that our customers expect. You have to come over and check out the diving here some of the best in Asia.

As a shop owner and consultant to resorts all over Asia - I would not have any person on the boat who could not set up gear. How long does it take to teach a crew to do it? We are talking about attaching a BC and a reg not the theory of relativity. Most vacation divers prefer to have their gear set up for them- those who are adamant against it will tell you. Also a crew trained in how gear should be set up will also be able to spot when something is wrong and correct it before the diver is in the water.

On our boat we normally have set the customers gear near their tank and have them set up the first tank- this gives us an idea of if they know what they are doing many time but not always. I have had many divers tell me - "the crew always sets it up, I don't know how" Then one of the crew is right there to do it for them. Some of these people turn out to be fine divers once in the water- some not so much. The second and third dives many times it is quicker and easier for the crew to change tanks on the now crowded moving deck on the dive sites rather than tied to the dock.

In over 15 years of doing this - have not had anyone get irate of angry about having the tank changed for them- have seen complaints when it has not been done. In the balance of things as a manager or owner I would rather deal with complaints that my staff is too helpful than not enough. Having a well trained staff that is knowledgeable about their jobs goes a long way to avoiding complaints and issues. Your boat crew knowing how to set up gear is would be a key step in moving in that direction.

If I were on your boat, I would tell you to not touch my gear. And...I would mean it. I know that today, there are a lot of people that would rather sit and let someone else do it. Not me. If you mess with my gear, like Jim said, you will get no tip and a stern talking to because I would have already told you this. A boat crew has more important things to do in my humble opinion.
1. Get me to the dive site.
2. Give me a good site brief.
3. Be ready with O2 if someone needs it.
4. If it's a float dive (drift dive) keep other boats off the divers when they surface.
5. Get me back to the dock.

As a dive op, we refuse to set up your gear. If you cannot set up you kit, you need a refresher. I will certainly help troubleshoot, explain different gear, if rental, and pass over tanks, but we will Not set your gear.
On a personal note, don't touch my stuff.

As a dive op, we refuse to set up your gear. If you cannot set up you kit, you need a refresher.
I think this misses the point of crew setting up gear. I can get my own margarita, but when I'm on vacation, I like somebody to do it for me. Ditto those cold towels by the pool. Some people want to be pampered on vacation, and dive operators are catering to them, which makes good business sense.

I am, by the way, happy to set up my own gear...or not.

Practice varies. I don't want people setting up my gear (mostly because I am concerned they may break it). But there are plenty of people I see on dive boats who relish "not having to lift a finger". I guess expectations just vary.

But whichever route you go, never set up someone's personal gear without asking their permission first.

If by chance I have to be buddied with an "instabuddy" one of the key things I like to observe is what gear they have and how they set it up.

You can tell a lot by watching somebody set up their gear and how familiar they are with it. If it is already set up then this is not possible.

I think this misses the point of crew setting up gear. I can get my own margarita, but when I'm on vacation, I like somebody to do it for me. Ditto those cold towels by the pool. Some people want to be pampered on vacation, and dive operators are catering to them, which makes good business sense.

I am, by the way, happy to set up my own gear...or not.

I'd rather have a drink / dive / dive trip with you than someone who says "touch my gear and you die / get no tip / get a lecture or "if you can't set your own gear up, you should be drawn and quartered".

Three cheers for reasonableness. Down with testosterone.

Back
Top Bottom