Boat Captains -- Key Largo, Responsibilities and Professionalism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree that the ideal procedure for a drifting diver is to deploy a SMB at the earliest opportunity, to expect all recreational divers to have the tools and necessary skills to safely deploy one is not realistic at this time.

This is not to imply that such procedures/tools/skills cannot become more widely instituted as an integral part of standard recreational diving practices. (Like the gradual integration of SPG’s, BCD’s, safe seconds, and etc.)

In Cozumel they managed to make it a requirement. Coincidentally, the first place I ever used an SMB from depth. I think you underestimate people. Boats could also provide SMB's and spools.

Several boats I've been on (FL East coast area) provide flags and even computers if the diver doesn't have one. I think they were "no extra charge" but I'm not 100% sure on that since I didn't need their stuff.

One of our LDS was out on the Speigel with a large group. There was a ripping current on top. Several of the divers had ignored the part about quickly grabbing line and pulling themselves up to the buoy for descent. They just stepped off the back, grouped up on the surface, and did their I am ok signal like they would on a reef dive. By the time they realized they had screwed up, dive had turned into a get several drifting divers back on boat operation.

In Cozumel they managed to make it a requirement. Coincidentally, the first place I ever used an SMB from depth. I think you underestimate people. Boats could also provide SMB's and spools.

I've seen surface deployed SMBs required in Coz. I've not dived with an op that requires a DSMB & spool. The DM shoots a blob at the end of the dive, but it's not compulsory for others to do so (at least in my experience).

Also, +1 for being attentive during the dive briefing. I'm pretty easy going on a dive boat. From other threads, you can toss your stuff around, blow smoke my way, even puke in my dive bag and I'll tend to laugh it off, but STFU during the dive brief. Even if you don't want to listen, others do.:)

While there are several operators in various locations who specify that all divers must carry SMBs that can be deployed from depth, (along with a reel or finger spool, and the skills to use these tools properly,) I surmise that there are many more divers who own SMB’s that cannot be so deployed, and thus their usage dictates that the diver must surface prior to inflating the marker.

While I agree that the ideal procedure for a drifting diver is to deploy a SMB at the earliest opportunity, to expect all recreational divers to have the tools and necessary skills to safely deploy one is not realistic at this time.

This is not to imply that such procedures/tools/skills cannot become more widely instituted as an integral part of standard recreational diving practices. (Like the gradual integration of SPG’s, BCD’s, safe seconds, and etc.)

For the present though, the key point of this thread boils down to Capt. Wyatt’s initial observation: Situational Awareness by all is of the utmost importance. (Though it is a leap of faith to expect such behavior or practices by many of the people operating boats in South Florida.)

Exactly correct, diving in Key Largo off moored buoys is quite different than the drift diving we do in SE FL. Our dive flags take care of most everything, we all have deployable SMBs to cover the rest. Most divers come up the downline in Key Largo, if they miss, all should have a deployable SMB at best, but this is not the case. A surface inflatable SMB is the compromise

There is one dive site in NC where the boat requires both SMB and a reel. However, the reel is to help you get back to the anchor in case folks digging for fossils have screwed up the viz and the SMB is in case you have to make a free assent so it may be deployed below or at the surface. Most of the divers on this dive know how to deploy at depth.

Several boats I've been on (FL East coast area) provide flags and even computers if the diver doesn't have one. I think they were "no extra charge" but I'm not 100% sure on that since I didn't need their stuff.

You’re probably right. Doing so keeps me from being disappointed too often.

Shooting a marker from depth is not rocket science, but to do so properly, while maintaining neutral buoyancy, is a task that takes a wee bit of practice to master. I suggest that this is a skill best practiced under controlled circumstances, before a diver finds him or herself blown off of an up-line, or in some other unplanned circumstances for the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom