Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As one who owns and safely operates a vessel, I would consider it a favor that if any guest who wishes to disregard any of my instructions once underway, please let me know prior to boarding as that will give the rest of us a little more room.

“Drowning is the leading cause of death in boating accidents...” said Lt. Ed Cates of the FWC’s Division of Law Enforcement.

No one "plans" on being unconscious. Doodoo occurs. To think that you are too smart to get knocked out is just too funny, but then again perhaps your head is sooooooo thick that you are immune to such things.

Last edited:
No one "plans" on being unconscious. Doodoo occures. To think that you are too smart to get knocked out is just too funny, but then again perhaps your head is sooooooo thick that you are immune to such things.
First, the boat flipping in this thread was unplanned, and no one was wearing pfds or bc's. Most situations where passengers will be asked to don PFD's will be sinkings that happen in a few minutes, or at least over many seconds--the instantaneous flipping is not something that ANY gear has been designed to protect boat passengers from. The PFD is for being in the water and keeping your head up.

If there was a real concern about being knocked unconscious, then we would be foolish not to be wearing something like a football helmet, or at least a bike or whitewater kayaking helmet. Why not prevent the injury? Why not think for yourself? Why trust the government to know what is best and safest for YOU?

If you do plenty of adventure sports, much of this is about the planning. Planning the what-ifs, the what thens, and so on. I just think the pfd for a "GENERAL SOLUTION" is a very poor solution for divers, given our alternatives...alternatives not available to the general public.

And so far, I have been immune to such things :) I plan to keep it that way :)

First, the boat flipping in this thread was unplanned, and no one was wearing pfds or bc's.

And perhaps this is one instance where the Captain was negligent. Conditions where a real risk of peril existed and he chose to continue to proceed in shore without his passengers donning pfd's.

I would also elect Dan's course of action, but if it makes the captain happy, I will exit the boat with the pfd in hand, not clipped to my rig. :wink:

And perhaps this is one instance where the Captain was negligent. Conditions where a real risk of peril existed and he chose to continue to proceed in shore without his passengers donning pfd's.
I was not there to be able to scan the sets of waves running at the time, and I don't think you were either.

When I had my Regal out and the seas came up a lot, the only reason for stopping and watching the sets, would be that the tide and shoaling was such that the large waves were being complicated by much too shallow water between the waves. This would be a common concern at certain times when coming in to the Boynton Inlet, but it would never be a factor at the Palm Beach Inlet( Lake Worth Inlet). In fact, any captain that was really scared about the Boynton Inlet on a given return trip, would likely be thinking about how nice the Palm Beach inlet would be, and if they had fuel to get there.

If I was going to stop in this accident scenario, I would have to stop COMPLETELY OUTSIDE the surf zone. From there, you would read the set, and decide which wave to run after, and get on the back half of, and to ride in.
But if I or any other Captain was going to stop, we would be very sure we were out beyond the surf zone of the inlet.

At this point, I can only add conjecture....he must have been where he would usually stop to read the wave sets.... Maybe some scouring or shoaling had occurred, and the waves were changing in the area from which they would begin to stand up....usually where it starts to get shallow...so maybe a sand bar was forming much further out than usual ? Or...Maybe this really was a unique wave that formed much farther out than waves ever form....this taking the boat by surprise....

Because I had lots of power on my boat, and could run in only 3 feet of water, I would usually read the sets well before I got close, and just grab the convenient wave on the way in...Stopping for me usually would occur only if other boats were lined up reading the sets, and at Boynton you go in single file, and you take your turn :) In other words, I would do this from a stop sometimes, but this was not the way I liked to do it. I never liked stopping and getting off of plane on my way in. Stopping also means having to worry about the waves hitting your stern....usually being outside the surfzone makes this benign as problems go. Clearly the captain felt the shape of the waves, the tidal flow, and the depth of the inlet, dictated that he stop and attempt to find the safest and easiest way to "ride in". The "rogue wave" was a shock to him. I think if he had any concerns whatever that he was going to have a dangerous entrance, he would either have alerted all the passengers to what he considered a "Dangerous Situation" --and certainly the PFD talk would have been covered----OR, more likely, he would have decided to go in a major inlet like at Port Everglades or the Palm Beach Inlet ( which ever was closest). If he had insufficient fuel for the big inlets, there would have been radio chatter if this was the conundrum.

I would also elect Dan's course of action, but if it makes the captain happy, I will exit the boat with the pfd in hand, not clipped to my rig. :wink:

Your captain would appreciate it if you could let him know that prior to departure. (see post 112)

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

When I had my Regal out.....

I thought we couldn't talk about the Regal :wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please remember that this is an accident and incident thread about a specific tragedy. Please stay on this topic. The issue of PFDs was somewhat on topic at first, but it has since drifted off. If you wish to have a debate about whether or not one should wear a PFD, BCD, or ring buoy, or if you plan to obey or disobey a captain's orders, please start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

He would have surely rerouted to another inlet before issuing that order...

I thought we couldn't talk about the Regal :wink:

I have to agree --that this should not be considered off-topic...the thread needs to be allowed to run it's course. If I was captaining my boat into an inlet like this, or you yours, our insights are relevant....Most divers that have never run a 30 to 50 foot boat, will not have much experience with the issues a Captain will consider in getting the boat into a rough inlet....So I think this is a valid path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom