Blue Water in Pelham, AL this Sat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is anyone interested in diving Blue Water this sat. I will be just an hour south at Lake Martin Friday and will drive on up to Pelham to dive with someone. I cannont convince my local dive buddy to come along. Let me know asap so I can arrange some plans. I plan on doing two dives starting early around 9:00am or so right when they open.

I may be up there that weekend, but I'm not sure which days. I'll post when I have more info.

av8er23:
Is anyone interested in diving Blue Water this sat.

I'm interested, and 9am sounds fine. If I can get the girlfriend to sign off, that is. :)

It'll be my first time there. Judging from prior reports, it sounds like it gets pretty chilly below 30' or so. I've got a 3mil full + hood and gloves. I'm wondering whether I should layer another 3 mil "core warmer" type thing. Any recommendations?

All depends on how many dives you do, how long you warm up during the SI(if you do multiple dives), and how tolerant you are...

I'll dive in the upper 50ºFs with a full 3mm, light gloves, light booties, and a 2.5/0.5mm hoodvest.

Mat,

How's the diving better than Diveland I hope? I'm looking at Bluewater or Lochlowminn. Do you have a favorite?

Elaine

I've never been to any of the sites you listed. The only quarry dive I've dove was at Rock Divers, near Huntsville. I usually stick to the clearer springs in the FL panhandle to be honest :wink: I'm not opposed to diving in some colder, murkier puddles every so often though... reminds me of the Gulf in the winter. LOL

rsanders:
I'm interested, and 9am sounds fine. If I can get the girlfriend to sign off, that is. :)

It'll be my first time there. Judging from prior reports, it sounds like it gets pretty chilly below 30' or so. I've got a 3mil full + hood and gloves. I'm wondering whether I should layer another 3 mil "core warmer" type thing. Any recommendations?

That would be the same stuff that I am going to wear. Just let me know asap because I am going to a concert in Atlanta thursday night and I may be going straight over to Birmingham to visit a friend friday and spend the night for a saturday morning dive. So I will have to take my equipment with me thursday.

Shushi:
How's the diving better than Diveland I hope? I'm looking at Bluewater or Lochlowminn.

I certified at Diveland back in April and did a couple of days at Low-Minn a few of weeks ago.

The chief advantage of Low-Minn over Diveland isn't in the water. It's a much nicer setup and more professionally run. You can get nitrox fills there, and they apparently run a grill for lunch (but didn't when I was there). Unless I had some special requirement, I'd suggest Low-Minn over Diveland just for the creature comforts.

That said, Low-Minn bottoms out around 65-70', less in most places. If you have some reason to be deeper, Diveland may be the better choice. And if you're looking for some entertainment other than the sheer fact of being wet and getting some practice in, neither is going to satisfy.

I hope to check out Blue Water this weekend. It's been highly recommended, over the competition.

av8er23:
That would be the same stuff that I am going to wear. Just let me know asap because I am going to a concert in Atlanta thursday night and I may be going straight over to Birmingham to visit a friend friday and spend the night for a saturday morning dive. So I will have to take my equipment with me thursday.
Are you going to the rob zombie concert thursday? If so I'm going to be there as well.

Basically blue water is much like any other quarry, though they have nice facilities. All are basically "underwater junkyards" as you put it in your other thread. They just have some stuff sunk down there to see, but that is about it.

I was thinking about heading out to Pelham this weekend, but just don't feel like driving 3 hrs. each way this weekend after all the driving I did last weekend. The lake will be packed with drunk boaters so that is out of the question too for me. Looks like I might just try to get a nightdive in this week and not dive this weekend..

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom