blue steel

what cylinder do you use for singles

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dori fish

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey out there, i am in the market for my first set of single tanks, and maybe in a couple of years i could possibly use them in a doubles set but not riight now, not enough experience, or old enough for that matter. my lds carries xs scuba, oms, faber and i am not sure what else. i for sure want steel, and high pressure cylinders. any suggestions, i am willing to change my options to lp but not aluminum and different sizes. what do you use for your local diving i am for any suggestions:D

age and weight would be helpful.

If you are a 110# woman it is a different question from a 190# male.

I agree with going with steel. But are you doing salt or fresh diving?

a hp 100 is a good all around tank. Plenty of air and not too big or heavy.

i am 6ft and over 185lbs, diving both salt and fresh

age and weight would be helpful.

According to a previous thread, the OP is 14.

Not that you couldn't tell from the run-on sentences and lack of proper grammar and punctuation. :shocked2: Dori Fish, let me assure you that most people will take you much more seriously if you write using proper grammar; otherwise we'll just assume you think this is akin to twitter/texting/etc. :wink:

My vote is an HP100.

Steel 72 is not an option? One is 3 months younger than I am. It was born in 02-59.

I like my HP 100. BUT, it leaves me overweighted in warmer waters. For warm water, it is hard to beat an Al80.

I like my HP 100. BUT, it leaves me overweighted in warmer waters. For warm water, it is hard to beat an Al80.

A rare disagreement; it's easy to beat an AL80. Just get a steel 72 and find some sensible place that will slightly overfill it (like 200PSI over the plus rating of 2475). Then you'll have the same amount of air in a tank that weighs 5 lbs less, is thinner and shorter, and is neutral empty.

There are two problems; one is finding the right fill station, the other is finding a galvanized tank and getting it tumbled/VIP/hydro'ed without some idiot trying to ruin it.

Mattboy and Awap, You guys should do some diving together and do some comparisons. ;-)

Dori Fish, how about a little more info?
Will you be diving with a wetsuit or dry suit? How thick?
BC or wing and backplate? Steel or AL
Money no object or are you like the rest of us?
What are your dive buddies using and how does you air consumption compare?

As Matt pointed out, a steel 72 is hard to beat -especially as a first tank. You can get one cheap from Craigs list and later double it or sell it usually for what you paid for it.

c

my lds carries xs scuba, oms, faber and i am not sure what else. i for sure want steel, and high pressure cylinders. any suggestions, i am willing to change my options to lp but not aluminum and different sizes. what do you use for your local diving i am for any suggestions:D

since your shop carries more than one brand, just a few things to think about.

I've got the Blue Steel (Faber) tanks and like them. but if my shop had Worthington's for sale for the same price, I'd have gotten them.

the Worthington's have a better finish (cold gip galvanized) and come by default with a better valve (A thermo valve or xsscuba valve).

If you can get the Fabers much cheaper, then I'd go with them. But if they are the same cost as the Worthington's, then buy the worthingtons. simple as that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom