Blue Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dove Blue Springs today with some students. It's at least 10 ft deeper than normal. After the walking on the boardwalkand and going done the steps the ast 4 or 5 are covered with water, there's no way to walk to the hole you hve to swim to it. Made for an interesting dive. At the end, you have to exit the steps you came in on - swimming down to he parking lot steps is not allowed so, you have that lon walk back. But, at least it's open and we got wet.

I didn't know you couldn't float down to the parking lot steps. I do it and no one ever says anything about it.

I didn't know you couldn't float down to the parking lot steps. I do it and no one ever says anything about it.

normally divers can drift down to the swimming area, however, it is occasionally closed for various reasons, like Manatee's in the area. such is the case right now. Although I think, after diving there today, that there may be excessive debris in the water.

Check my next post for today's dive report on Blue Springs.

Saturday the swimming platform was under water. Closed for swimmers = closed to divers.
Viz was pretty good down in the hole Sunday, considering the Sun was not coming in.

How did you determine the extra ten feet?

Saturday the swimming platform was under water. Closed for swimmers = closed to divers.
Viz was pretty good down in the hole Sunday, considering the Sun was not coming in.

How did you determine the extra ten feet?

The downed tree on the right of the hole that is usually about 6 ft above water was about 4 ft below water. Steps from entrance usually enter in about 1 to 1/2 ft of water entrance was now over my head so we inflated our BC's - I've never had to do this. It might have been 6 ft or 10 ft deeper, either way it was not the Blue Springs that I normally dive. A lot of water. It was crowded though. I guess all of the classes that got blown out last week. By the time we registered at 8:45 we were group 10 and the last group let in until others left. Saturday, the person next to me was getting a ticket for going past the rope barrier and trying to get up the platform that was underwater. I think he said it was $150.00. Ouch!

The downed tree on the right of the hole that is usually about 6 ft above water was about 4 ft below water. Steps from entrance usually enter in about 1 to 1/2 ft of water entrance was now over my head so we inflated our BC's - I've never had to do this. It might have been 6 ft or 10 ft deeper, either way it was not the Blue Springs that I normally dive. A lot of water. It was crouded though. I guess all of the classes that got blown out last week. By the time we registered at 8:45 we were group 10 and the last group let in until others left.

Thanks. I should have looked at my depth gage down at the sign, which is nominally 60 feet. I would not have estimated 10 feet more water, but with all those divers piling in there, it probably raised the level an extra amount!

Down by the sign gets crowded with about 3-4 divers, I can't imagine being in there on a crazy day like that.

There was an occurrence early Sunday 8/31/08. Maybe one of you has some information.

It probably was dive group #1 or 2 , as we were #3. This group of three divers had all the tech/DIR gear. They had that "know what they were doing" look. I believe they went to the bottom. Me and my buddy were at about 30 feet when one diver below us made a hand move to his main tank valve, then shot straight up from the sign to the surface in about three seconds. This guy had a pony bottle, too. Scary. My buddy Greg said it looked like a free-flow. Looked like a panic to me.

We finished up and found the speedy diver at the surface with his buddies, and they were heading down again.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? There may be a lesson beyond the obvious, here. Maybe the guy did not know that I was right above him. I could have been there quickly with my yellow octo.

Hopefully, the man was not hurting later.

Thanks / Stu.

The downed tree on the right of the hole that is usually about 6 ft above water was about 4 ft below water. Steps from entrance usually enter in about 1 to 1/2 ft of water entrance was now over my head so we inflated our BC's - I've never had to do this. It might have been 6 ft or 10 ft deeper, either way it was not the Blue Springs that I normally dive. A lot of water. It was crowded though. I guess all of the classes that got blown out last week. By the time we registered at 8:45 we were group 10 and the last group let in until others left. Saturday, the person next to me was getting a ticket for going past the rope barrier and trying to get up the platform that was underwater. I think he said it was $150.00. Ouch!

I put my dive computer on the sign and it read 64 feet. in the sand at the bottom of the steps it read 9 feet. Last time I was at the sign in Blue Springs my computer read the depth at the sign to be 56 ft. the same place at the foot of the steps was 1 ft. deep.

Here are some pics from 9-1 Labor day dive.

Attachments

• bluespring-1.jpg
    bluespring-1.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 35
  • bluespring-2.jpg
    bluespring-2.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 30
  • bluespring-3.jpg
    bluespring-3.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 34
  • bluespring-4.jpg
    bluespring-4.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 35
i was there on sunday also and i believe i know who you were talking about cause we were group eight and got in the water really quickly just me and afriend and when we got down to the hole they were over buy the bank where the tree had fallen down not all the way over there but close and they were joking around about no air and if you needed air then you better have some money on you, just joking around but i believe that was them. three guys, one heavy built the other with a pony and all had lights and other tech gear

There was an occurrence early Sunday 8/31/08. Maybe one of you has some information.

It probably was dive group #1 or 2 , as we were #3. This group of three divers had all the tech/DIR gear. They had that "know what they were doing" look. I believe they went to the bottom. Me and my buddy were at about 30 feet when one diver below us made a hand move to his main tank valve, then shot straight up from the sign to the surface in about three seconds. This guy had a pony bottle, too. Scary. My buddy Greg said it looked like a free-flow. Looked like a panic to me.

We finished up and found the speedy diver at the surface with his buddies, and they were heading down again.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? There may be a lesson beyond the obvious, here. Maybe the guy did not know that I was right above him. I could have been there quickly with my yellow octo.

Hopefully, the man was not hurting later.

Thanks / Stu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom