Blue Springs Quarry Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpmyoung

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I know the price hike at BS has had a lot of people upset. I was out last week and had a great couple of dives. On the second dive we swam the walls at about 20 feet and I noticed that we could see all the way to the bottom. Less divers in the water = Great viz. For those of you who haven't gone due to the price increase. I would tell you to give it a try. I have to be honest I haven't gone as much this year as last but the times I have gone I have had better viz. There is a new boat that was sunk, however it is upside down. :( I'll be back out there in a few weeks. Lets go get wet!

cpmyoung:
Hey everyone,

I know the price hike at BS has had a lot of people upset. I was out last week and had a great couple of dives. On the second dive we swam the walls at about 20 feet and I noticed that we could see all the way to the bottom. Less divers in the water = Great viz. For those of you who haven't gone due to the price increase. I would tell you to give it a try. I have to be honest I haven't gone as much this year as last but the times I have gone I have had better viz. There is a new boat that was sunk, however it is upside down. :( I'll be back out there in a few weeks. Lets go get wet!

When are you heading back out to BS? It's only about 45 minutes from me and I might be able to meet you out there.

Hmmm... I've never been there. It's about an hour from me so I think I'll have to try it soon. Are they open on the weekends only, or thru the week too. My hubby has a couple of Wednesdays off work, and if they're open, I think we may try to go.

Their website says they are open 24x7, but I'd call to verify before heading out there during the week. It isn't a fancy operation, especially when you consider that they now charge $20. Haigh charges $20 and Gilboa $12 and both of those are far nicer. However, it's close and it is a nice quarry to dive in. They do have an airfill operation. $5 a fill, which is pretty good.

http://www.bluespringsscubadiving.net/welcome.lhtm

AHA! That's the website I've been looking for. Thank you, Divin Hoosier. I've heard VERY good things about Haigh Quarry and would love to go there... but Blue Springs is way closer, and we're gonna go during the day when the kids are in school, so don't want to spend all my time driving to the site.

I'm willing to give BS a try... it's nice water that I'm looking for, so if the water is good, then I'm happy.

erparamedic:
AHA! That's the website I've been looking for. Thank you, Divin Hoosier. I've heard VERY good things about Haigh Quarry and would love to go there... but Blue Springs is way closer, and we're gonna go during the day when the kids are in school, so don't want to spend all my time driving to the site.

I'm willing to give BS a try... it's nice water that I'm looking for, so if the water is good, then I'm happy.

I was last out to BS on 7/9 and the water was 78 F on the surface and 65 or so at 30-35'. The viz was pretty good. Maybe 20-25'. Much better than what you had recently.

EDIT / CORRECTION: Just checked my software and it was actually 57 at 30-35'. Still, I was fine in my 3mm with a 3/5 hooded vest underneath.

Make sure and plan a trip up to Haigh (and Gilboa) sometime. They are both very, very nice. They are pretty much both about 3-3.5 hours from Indy. I'm going up to Haigh with a buddy on 8/4 and then have plans to do some entry level wreck diving on Lake Michigan on 8/5-6. I can't wait! I haven't been in the water since 7/9 and I'm getting fidgety!

LOL.... fidgety!

Rod and I definitely want to go to Haigh and Gilboa. Mermet Springs is also on our list. I think those places will have to be saved for next summer, as we're pinched on time and money for the rest of the year. We will be diving close to home.... so BS might be the best place for us. I really like to see where I'm going (underwater)!

Thanks for the vis and temp references. It's quite helpful.

If you go during the day just be sure to drop your money in the door and sign in. I can dive weekdays while the kids are in school on Mondays and Tuesdays. Anyone interested? Also, I might be tryint to get a group to go to Haige on Friday the 11th. Anyone up for that?

According to my call to BS... surface temp is around 83... or "bathwater" as he says... vis is 30+ feet. Thermocline is low to mid 60s.

Back
Top Bottom