Blue Spring SP cavern fatality - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm. Interesting. This is what I find flooring.... I have two sons 17 and 20. The 17 yo dives with me, the 20 yo is going to get cert'd in a month. My youngest is a pretty fair diver. We've been to Key Largo together and done the Duane and the Speigal Grove. He was AOW by a shop that I regard the two instructors to be very capable, safe, and good habits. Not that it matters, but one retired coast guard, one retired LT Command from the navy. In any case, if the article is correct and I read it right, they did a tank, then the father goes back down, by himself, leaving the son, and does a 120' solo dive? Even if he is completely capable, that's just not a smart move if you ask me. Sad for everyone involved.

we don't actually know the details of the dive plan or the dive, only that he went by himself and was found at 120'. If the flow was down and he was negative, he could have drifted to 120' after he died.

From the News-Journal Online link that Don provided:

News-Journal:
Dervan was found about 70 feet below the surface. He was in a wedge in the lime rock with his buoyancy jacket, which keeps a diver from floating or sinking, partially filled with air, investigators said.

The first question that pops into my mind is: Was he wedged in? Be interesting to see what the computer download (if there was one and if available) would show. I'm certainly focusing the word "wedge" in the article and also air in the BC. Is it possible he got stuck and was trying to use the BC to free himself? Because then the trigger is not out-of-air, but entrapment leading to out-of-air. And if you want to learn from this accident, that's an important distinction IMHO.

News-Journal:
"both registered at Blue Springs State Park as certified cave divers."

At the risk of inflaming ScubaGypsy again, the kid is 16. NAUI, PADI, SSI, & GUE all have 18 as the mininum age for cave-diving certification. No exceptions that I saw. SDI/TDI/ERDI and IANTD also say 18 but will drop to 15 with parental consent. I'm curious to know where the cert came from.

Even though the kid was not physically injured in this accident (emotional may be something else), more to the point of my personal discomfort, why does a 16 year-old "need" to be cave-certified (if indeed he was). Have we lost our minds?

- Ken

Last edited:
From the News-Journal Online link that Don provided:
The first question that pops into my mind is: Was he wedged in? Be interesting to see what the computer download (if there was one and if available) would show. I'm certainly focusing the word "wedge" in the article and also air in the BC. Is it possible he got stuck and was trying to use the BC to free himself? Because then the trigger is not out-of-air, but entrapment leading to out-of-air. Abnd if you want to learn from this accident, that's an important distinction IMHO.

- Ken

My read is that he was found in a "wedge" which you could call the gaps shown on the left side of the drawing shown on the first page of this thread. If he had a medical event, I could see him drifting into one of these features after the fact. Although the quote did not say he was wedged, that could still happen just by trying to remove him in a different manner than he drifted in.

The problem with accidents, as usual, is the lack of good initial information and the lack of follow up in the media after the initial report of the fatality.

Bob

Ok, so I was wrong in my expectations. The media did publish additional information, including that "both registered at Blue Springs State Park as certified cave divers."

See Investigators: Man drowned in Blue Spring after running out of air | News-JournalOnline.com

That's even more confusing.

OK I get that Dad wanted another dive. I don't believe he was trying for 120'. Probably a misreport due to the overall depth of the site. What I'm finding peculiar now is the report that his air wasn't all the way open. Or perhaps that's the answer? As Dad descended it got harder to breathe and he believed himself out of air? Attempts to save himself by dumping his weights, didn't help. Panic sets in . . .but hmm . . .he breathed the tank dry anyway? I'm going to have to read thst last article again.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 01:40 PM ----------

There's just a teeny bit more info here:

Autopsy: Man Drowned While Cave-Diving At Blue Spring : NewsDaytonaBeach

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 01:41 PM ----------

It's hard to tell if Dad had gone in with a full tank in the first place. :(

That's even more confusing.

OK I get that Dad wanted another dive. I don't believe he was trying for 120'. Probably a misreport due to the overall depth of the site. What I'm finding peculiar now is the report that his air wasn't all the way open. Or perhaps that's the answer? As Dad descended it got harder to breathe and he believed himself out of air? Attempts to save himself by dumping his weights, didn't help. Panic sets in . . .but hmm . . .he breathed the tank dry anyway? I'm going to have to read thst last article again.

From what I read, we don't know that (bolded sentence). He was found without a weight belt, but he probably didn't have one in the first place.

From what I read, we don't know that (bolded sentence). He was found without a weight belt, but he probably didn't have one in the first place.

Autopsy: Man Drowned While Cave-Diving At Blue Spring : NewsDaytonaBeach

"...Divers discovered Dervan’s weight belt about 14 feet below where his body was found and that his buoyancy jacket was partially filled with air, per the report....."

---------- Post added June 15th, 2015 at 12:16 PM ----------

Ok, so I was wrong in my expectations. The media did publish additional information, including that "both registered at Blue Springs State Park as certified cave divers."

See Investigators: Man drowned in Blue Spring after running out of air | News-JournalOnline.com

It appears they edited that out....It no longer states that on the linked article.

My read is that he was found in a "wedge" which you could call the gaps shown on the left side of the drawing shown on the first page of this thread. If he had a medical event, I could see him drifting into one of these features after the fact. Although the quote did not say he was wedged, that could still happen just by trying to remove him in a different manner than he drifted in.

The problem with accidents, as usual, is the lack of good initial information and the lack of follow up in the media after the initial report of the fatality.

Bob

That is also how I read that. Look through these pictures (not mine, they belong to Dayo Scuba in Orlando) and you can see the "scalloping of the cavern walls. The flow in the middle is quite strong, but you can get into these "shelves" and get out of the water flow coming at you.

Diving with Dayo Scuba Orlando Florida

Back
Top Bottom