Blue Magic Scuba--Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confused on the pick up from hotels. Their website says they only pick up from the hotels south of them? Did I read this right? I am staying at Cozumel Palace. Do they pick up from there? Thanks.

Best way to find out for sure is to ask them directly.

Exactly - they're very good about responding to questions.

In general (and I don't know if this applies to Blue Magic), operators are willing to pick up from hotel piers to the south because that's the direction they go to reach most of the dive sites. Furthermore, the harbor where the majority of the dive boats spend the night is immediately north of the Intercontinental Presidente, south of town. In order to pick up divers to the north, they have to spend considerable time and fuel to motor up that direction, then the same to get back where they started. This all applies again at the end of the dive trip, too.

If I were staying north of town, I'd much rather drive in a rented car or take a cab to the harbor rather than spend so much extra time on the boat getting back and forth.

Some operators may also be willing to meet you at your hotel in a van or taxi and pick you up on their own way to the harbor - you can always ask.

It's almost always better to ask the dive shop directly rather than asking here.

There *are* other reviews of Blue Magic on the board. As far as I recall, they were all very positive.

My experience with Blue Magic (based, unfortunately, on a single week of diving) was pretty similar to Seano's. We had a nephew do his OW referral with Gabriel, which went great. We'd actually gone to BMS to follow Sandro, who is one of our favorite DM's anywhere and were happy to learn that Gabriel, with whom we'd dived before, was there as well. For me, Pumba is too silly and too hands-on with the wildlife, but I understand that many people quite like him.

Joyce and Mark are very nice people who are working hard to run a quality dive shop. There is a small handful of operators that get mentioned here time and time again, which I think means they are consistently providing quality and value. BlueXTSea, Aldora, Dive with Martin, Papa Hog's and a few others come quickly to mind. I definitely think Blue Magic Scuba belongs in this tier.

We certainly plan to dive again with them within the next few months.

Is this Sandro and Gabe from Deep Blue? Both of them have to be two of the most professional divemasters we have ever had the pleasure of diving with. We quit using Deep Blue when they had their little problems several years ago. Glad to hear that Gabe and Sandro have moved on, as well. Certainly makes Blue Magic one of the shops that we will seek out next time we are there.

If anyone sees or dives with Sandro, ask him about his Viper hat.

Thanks!

I went today to check in at Blue Magic and Pumba was the one who got me outfitted. I told him I'd 'heard' of him which he thought was super funny. He is a fun guy all around! Anyway, I was giggling and laughing before I even left and I dont' dive until Thursday, which won't come too soon.

This has to be Pumba, formerly with Blue Angel. You can tell how he got his nickname. Looks like Blue Magic has attracted quite a great group of divemasters.

If it were me I'd have to ask about a DM that has moved about a number of ops in a relatively short period of time. Not all have been ID'd on this thread. Just askin'

MMM, both Sondro and Gabe are very proficient, and Sondro is my #1 choice for DM...would dive with him anywhere..and plan to follow him to Blue Magic, as we have always used Deep Blue primarily due to the above 2 people.

Not just disputing that. Just noting that when considering DMs as a reference to an op, people should ask how long they've been there. Ift hey move around a lot, your experience could be considerably different from what you've heard about. If what you've heard about is NB then ask to be assigned to that DM.

Just got back from Cozumel and 4 days of diving with Blue Magic. The whole experience was fantastic and I highly recommend them. I dove with the owner Joyce and her husband Mark along with other divers over the course of the 4 days. I worked with Jorge, Sandro, Pumba and all of them were very good guides. We always had small groups and personal service and Joyce worked hard to make sure all the dives were where we wanted to go (or not) and by the end of 4 days I was wishing for more diving!

If you like a small, personal dive operation with great dive masters and other staff and a real personal touch, this is a great place! I can't say enough good things about them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom