Blue Land Crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, this could have gone into the Scuba Chef thread, but what I really have is a local question:

Are the blue Florida land crabs (Blue Land Crab (Cardisoma guanhumi)) edible? Palatable? Legal to harvest?

I'm pretty sure that they're edible. Palatable and legal are the real issues.

This seems like a pretty straightforward question, but I've gotten different answers from different online sources, and, as my house is in the middle of a massive crab migration, with them in my driveway, my back yard, trying to get into my house, etc., I'm just reviewing my options.

(Hmmmm, pest or lunch?)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Grier

Insight? They certainly make camping, uh, interesting. They ate them on an episode of "Survivor" and lived to tell about it. Okay, I am not being informative at all, am I?

I used to see people down along Old Cutler in Miami catching them when they migrate. They would use a stick and a burlap bag to catch them. I asked around and found out they pen them up and feed them coconut before eating them.

I haven't tried one yet. If they're that close, grab one and steam it up. We await your report. They should be easier and more plentiful than lobsters to get a good meal out of. I'll start looking for a burlap bag.

I'm sure but I think it is legal to harvest them, but let me check for you. I know some widelife officers. I'll get back with you. OK?

Don't know about the land variety, but the freshwater variety are supposed to be pretty good. I guess that that one I saw "hiding" under a ledge at Alexander Springs last Sunday morning was lucky he was in a national park, huh?

:eyebrow: dont give me any of your crabs on Saturday Grier!

Not even if you orally inflate my sausage!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom