Blue Hole in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just updated the first post to include the dates.

I plan on going as well as Dan, possibly Rick, and Kevin. The more the merrier, so let's celebrate the holidays with some diving! :santa3:

Exactly how COLD could it possibly be in NM in December! Good Times! :laughsnow:

I have a few more hours of vacation to burn before the end of the year. I may try to see if I can burn them on Dec. 30 and go diving with everybody! :D... I'll let everybody know.

This sounds good! :D
I'm pretty sure that I will be the only one (again) diving "wet". :11: But I don't think it will be too bad. :wink: We know the water will be no colder than in the summer (approx. 64 degrees), so the challenge will be when getting into and out of the water. Specifically into and out of a wet wetsuit. But, I think it is doable. So, if lack of a drysuit is keeping any of you readers from joining in, please reconsider! :D :popcorn:
If it's really cold out, you can always pour warm water into your wetsuit before you put it on. :eyebrow:
I'm sure Ron or Kevin (or I ) will have a grill/stove down there.:coffee:

I'm sure Ron or Kevin (or I ) will have a grill/stove down there.:coffee:

Good suggestion on the wetsuit Rick! The Hole does have hot showers, and that is also a good way to warm up. Perch will be cold. I *think* I did Perch with DiveDoggie last Dec, and the water temp was in the low 40'sF.

We will plan on doing some Grilling. I have a 10x10 canopy with four sides. I also have a Kerosene heater, but I have not used that thing in 10 years. We can bring both depending on the driving arrangements, but if we bring the heater, than a truck is necessary.

As the date grows nearer we can make a decision based on the weather. I've been down there in December and on a Sunny day with light or no wind, it's nice, especially running around in a drysuit.

Exactly how COLD could it possibly be in NM in December! Good Times! :laughsnow:

Nice try, guys! I know it's "down south" and all, but... :) It's so "warm" in NM that last time I dove the Blue Hole we were suiting up in the snow. Good times! :D Granted, that was many moons ago...

And, if any of you are diving wet, let me give you one bit of advice (learned the hard way) - DON'T forget your booties (or your wetsuit, for that matter) in the car overnight. It was great fun dunking the booties in the water to thaw them enough to actually put them on. Ice cubes between your toes, anyone?

Too bad you're looking at the end of the month. I'll be in NM for Christmas, and might have been able to make the weekend of 21-23. Then again, I'm not sure that my thinned-by-living-in-Florida blood can handle NM diving in winter! :lotsalove:

Have fun!

I have a few more hours of vacation to burn before the end of the year. I may try to see if I can burn them on Dec. 30 and go diving with everybody! :D... I'll let everybody know.

That's good news! I want to hear more about that trip to the warm and clear waters.......

I definitely bring the grill as well as a large tarp we can wrap around the picnic table enclosure. With propane heater in there it will be nice and cozy!

I definitely bring the grill as well as a large tarp we can wrap around the picnic table enclosure. With propane heater in there it will be nice and cozy!

Awesome! I have a huge tarp that I don't generally bring as well if needed. I think something like 20'x16'. We can alway run to a hotel room to warm up if needed, but we've never really had to do so. I actually kinda like the cold months, if the sun is out, you just leave on the drysuit, and it's very comfortable. In summer, just walking across the lot can be uncomfortable.

That's good news! I want to hear more about that trip to the warm and clear waters.......

Hey Kevin,
What is your plan for dates? I think I can come out the 29th or 30th...
I missed in oct. cause of Key Largo and in Nov. I had to go out of town for work :(
Hopefully I can remember how to dive.

I'm ON for Dec. 30! I had to bribe a co-worker to work my shift. I might drive up Saturday night so I can get a nice early start Sunday morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom