Blue Hole Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look at A Skydiver Trip to Belize with Tsunami Skydivers Inc. Belize, San Pedro, tandem, freefall you can see a good few images of the BH from above. And no, from a boat you can't see the overall shape, nor the colour.

Peterbj7 - I was kidding :)

On the other hand, you just had to post that link! I've always wanted to skydive - what an incredible place to do it. Have you done that? Is this a once a year thing or do they do this year round? I can't wait to leave already!

Skydiving here is currently a once-a-year event, every February for around 10 days. And you can do your very first skydive over Ambergris Caye, and see those views for yourself. Sadly beginners won't be able to jump over the Blue Hole, as that's reserved for real experts only.

There is a possibility that there may be a permanent DZ in Belize at some point in the future, though it won't be at San Pedro. Then jumping in Belize will truly be a year-round possibility. I've done it lots of times, but not over AC as you have to be experienced and very current to jump here - the landing area isn't the easiest.

I disagree with some posters here. I really enjoyed the blue hole, but I think divers need to go into the dive treating it like an experience in geology rather than biology. The BH doesn't have much in terms of biology other than sharks, but if you have an appreciation for cool geology, then its a fun dive. Beware that therma-cline at about 120'! I also didn't think it was overpriced: a 2.5 hour trip out and back; 3 dives; lunch; lots of snacks and the trip home. I will probably head back out to BH next time down as my GF wants to dive it and wasn't ready yet last time.

Oh, I went out with Amigos Del Mar; great experience for me even though we had rough weather going out and rode through a thunderstorm.

Dave

I agree with polysemous1. It is a great geology dive, I wanted to see those huge stalagmites (or is that stalagtites?) but still pretty much a tee shirt dive. Best part was the wall dive afterwards. I saw two REALLY HUGE lobsters down there, like the size of children. I never knew a lobster could even grow that big!! I am talking about 5 feet in length from tip of antennas to tail. The blue footed booby sanctuary was also a highlite, for us. cool little island, with big axx lizards. It was a long trip out there and back but we enjoyed it overall.

I disagree with some posters here. I really enjoyed the blue hole, but I think divers need to go into the dive treating it like an experience in geology rather than biology. The BH doesn't have much in terms of biology other than sharks, but if you have an appreciation for cool geology, then its a fun dive. Beware that therma-cline at about 120'! I also didn't think it was overpriced: a 2.5 hour trip out and back; 3 dives; lunch; lots of snacks and the trip home. I will probably head back out to BH next time down as my GF wants to dive it and wasn't ready yet last time.

Oh, I went out with Amigos Del Mar; great experience for me even though we had rough weather going out and rode through a thunderstorm.

Dave

I agree. However, most people, myself included, aren't carrying a light bright enough to really see the geology, or the experience to appreciate it. If I were to do the dive over now, it would be a much different experience. But I'd also have to book my own charter to bring me out there and wait while I did my 2 hour long dive down there. :D

What was said above, and it was I who said "The best view of BH is from an aiplane".

An additional consideration is the depth of the dive mixed with the likely dive abilities and experiences of some others who may be sharing your boat ride out... it's a vey long way to help if the unlikely need might ever arise.

Belize is a wonderment of diving. Yep, the BH is marketing hype, but no more so than Roatan's Mary's Place or Dolphin Circus, Cayman's Stingray City... take your pick. Everybody's gotta have a hook, a signature.

There are a million little critters that lurk in the florid shallows of Belize. Come for the Blue Hole, but stay for the macro. "Belice" is perfection in the Mar Caribe.

I agree. However, most people, myself included, aren't carrying a light bright enough to really see the geology, or the experience to appreciate it. If I were to do the dive over now, it would be a much different experience. But I'd also have to book my own charter to bring me out there and wait while I did my 2 hour long dive down there. :D

That's the way to do it, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom