Blue Hole Dec 19,20,21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend and long time employee of mine has gone missing while snowboarding in the backcountry near Crested Butte. It looks like I am going to head there to assist with whatever needs to be assisted with.
Blue Hole will need to wait till around the new year.

Wow, this is terrible.

I hope they find them alive and well.

A friend and long time employee of mine has gone missing while snowboarding in the backcountry near Crested Butte. It looks like I am going to head there to assist with whatever needs to be assisted with.
Blue Hole will need to wait till around the new year.

Not good!! :shakehead: That back country activity can really be dangerous, Hope you all find him!

Thanks for all of your well wishing.
We continue to hope...but it diminishes.
In the mountains, no news is bad news... He(Mike) is going on night three tonight. He is very intelligent and experienced, so he could miraculously survive.

Even though the conditions were poor, he skinned up to a ridge, very close to town...actually up behind my house and dropped ino a chute that he had snowboarded down many times before. The entire loop should have taken about 3 hours.
Conditions have deteriorated since Wednesday and are too treacherous for dog teams and to do appropriate avalanche probing. There are a couple of rescue teams with dogs and probes going into the bottom of an area that recently slid. Big storms are on the way, so if things don't work out tomorrow, the next discovery may not be until next spring.

The lessons can be learned for skiers and snowboarders, drivers and divers.
We divers can manage our risk very well, but if conditions are sketchy or beyond training, ability, and equipment limitations, we need to be able to say 'no I'm going to sit this one out.' Not only for our own safety but for the well being of family, friends, and rescuers.

Thanks for all of your well wishing.
We continue to hope...but it diminishes.
In the mountains, no news is bad news... He(Mike) is going on night three tonight. He is very intelligent and experienced, so he could miraculously survive.

Even though the conditions were poor, he skinned up to a ridge, very close to town...actually up behind my house and dropped ino a chute that he had snowboarded down many times before. The entire loop should have taken about 3 hours.
Conditions have deteriorated since Wednesday and are too treacherous for dog teams and to do appropriate avalanche probing. There are a couple of rescue teams with dogs and probes going into the bottom of an area that recently slid. Big storms are on the way, so if things don't work out tomorrow, the next discovery may not be until next spring.

The lessons can be learned for skiers and snowboarders, drivers and divers.
We divers can manage our risk very well, but if conditions are sketchy or beyond training, ability, and equipment limitations, we need to be able to say 'no I'm going to sit this one out.' Not only for our own safety but for the well being of family, friends, and rescuers.

That's awful. Hopefully he will be found soon.

I'm not going to make it on Sunday. I have a sinus cold. :(

ok, everyone I know is not going, so i'm not either :)

Catch up with you all another time. Merry Christmas and happy new year everyone.

Well...we found him today, but it was not a happy ending. A friend has a dog named "Digger." She had him trained as a rescue/avalanche dog, and around three this afternoon, he found Mike's hat. Digger's owner sent him into a pattern near the bottom of a steep chute, but above the main debris field and moments later he barked and dug and started tugging at Mike's boot. Unfortunately, he was situated on a steep slope, face up and feet uphill with his head buried by about 40 inches of snow and his feet just inches from the surface. 72 hours had passed since his fateful run, and he was long gone.
There is plenty to be said about Mike and his adventures, the ladies that were all crazy about him, his great sense of humor... He was a super guy. He had an easy smile, was smart, quick witted, very positive...the world is diminished a little without him. As time goes by, our pain will pass and his friends will learn how to keep on keepin' on.

This old cowboy has been down this road too many times...
So.... A Blue Hole trip around New Years...maybe the first or second weekend of January....would go a long way toward refocusing, enjoying life, and making things right inside.
In the meantime please have a wonderful Christmas and give an extra hug to your friends and loved ones!
Peace,

Kent

Kent,

Sorry to hear the news, if you need anything or if there is anything I can do let me know.

I saw this on the news before reading your post Kent. It indicated he died in an avalanche, which is basically what you indicate as well.

I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am. I guess if there is any comfort it is he died doing something he loved. Unfortunately, a better lesson is wear avalanche beacons (even if it is unlikely it would have helped do anything but find him), and don't do back country alone.

We loose a few annually in CO as our snow is very real, and extreme.

My heart goes out to his family, and friends like Kent.

Thanks everybody!
We all miss Mike but we're doing fine.
The best possible "feel good" distraction would be some tropical diving. Since thats not going to happen for awhile, then a Blue Hole weekend will have to suffice.
Its difficult to schedule though. We have to find the time, make sure the weather is ok, and avoid having a cough or cold. Then we have to synchronize schedules so that we can carpool and have a buddy.
It sure would be nice to be able to walk out the backdoor, grab your gear, and walk out into the water......

Back
Top Bottom