Blue Hole Dec 16~17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could join you but I find I have three Christmas related events this weekend. Have fun.

We are loading up and getting ready to go tomorrow morning!

We have a couple of special missions to keep our interest piqued while diving. Should be really clear and quiet for the first dive tomorrow evening.

If anyone still wants to go, leave a note, and we'll squeeze you in!

Gotta work this weekend, otherwise I'd be up there in a heart beat. Have fun this weekend!

We are at the La Quinta in Sante Rosa right now. Reflecting on our dives so far.

We did a wonderful night dive last night. Arrived in the parking lot around 7:00 and not a soul was in sight...the water was pristine...
The sound of our bubbles bouncing off of the rock ledges above echoed and mimicked the sound of music coming from another cavern...it was surreal, erie, almost frightning.

Today, another good morning dive. We placed a musical clown quintet of statuettes on a ledge along the north wall at 43 feet. Check them out next time. At least now you will know where the music is coming from.

Also look for a pretty little angel and some ceramic pineapples nearby.

Later, we did a great dive at Perch. Vis was 25 - 30 feet...No silt at all!! .. and none when we left either! Water temp was low 40s. Kinda freezes your lips off. Saw the old mammoth catfish living under the fender of the car. He came out and said hi for a minute and then went back under and buried himself.

Last dive today back at Blue Hole. Nice typical BH dive. Most of the classes had wrapped up, and we again found ourselves alone in the water. We surfaced to an incredible New Mexico sunset.

Well were off to dinner at Joseph's...and then 2 more dives in the morning.

Wish you all were here!

I've dove at the Hole a lot, and this was one of the best trips, maybe the best trip to date.

Perch lake was what I've been dreaming a lake dive could be. While the water temps were in the low 40's (our computers indicated 41F~44F, they never seem to agree) the vis was outstanding! We descended and followed the bottom down, and immediately hit the plane. There were a few perch and trout hanging out. We then headed towards the car, and ran into that without issue. Kent swam through the front, and kicked out a large Catfish, maybe 3.5~4' in length, very cool fish and wow what a looker! :eyebrow:

The night dive on friday was just perfect. We could see stars from 40', maybe deeper, but I did not really look closely at my depth. The vis was great, and we had the place to ourselves. We hit the bottom, and I could see just about the entire distance across the bottom, but it's hard to judge with a light. There were some monster CrawDads about, and I was happy to see them as they have been absent since the dredging last summer.

In any event the best night dive I've done at the Hole. We scouted a spot for the figurines, and found a good ledge at 44'. After about 45 minutes we called it a dive. The only down side was that most of Santa Rosa closes down at 10:00pm on a Friday night, so Dinner was at Denny's.

The rest of the dives were typical BH style, hitting the bottom, and doing a multi-level profile to the surface. Very enjoyable and relaxing. Placing the figurines on two separate dives gave us a task that was fun, and we now have left something behind for others to gawk at! :D

I should add a free diving buddy of mine arrived Saturday evening, and he added some enjoyment to our last dive. We were at 44' admiring our little clown mariachi band when out of the blue, there was Brad touching me on the shoulder, and waving hi! We spent the remainder of the dive ascending slowly with visits from Brad on the regular all the way to the surface. He really enjoyed himself, and found the BH very enjoyable from a free diving perspective.

As always, I had a great weekend, and while the miles rolled by on the long return trip, we all felt that it was worth the time and drive to put together some dives, and memories. Kent is a good buddy, and great to dive with, and I met a new friend Matt whom also proved to be an enjoyable buddy.

:xmassign: :newyear:

Excellent write up Ron. It sounds like you guys had an excellent trip. :)

RonFrank:
I've dove at the Hole a lot, and this was one of the best trips, maybe the best trip to date.

As always, I had a great weekend, and while the miles rolled by on the long return trip, we all felt that it was worth the time and drive to put together some dives, and memories. Kent is a good buddy, and great to dive with, and I met a new friend Matt whom also proved to be an enjoyable buddy.

:xmassign: :newyear:

Hey Ron, sounds like you guys had a great time. How did you like your new BP&W?

Ron, It sounds like the diving you are about to experience in Coz just isin't going to be as enjoyable as this last Santa Rosa experience. :D

Seriously, it sounds like you had a great time. One of these days i'm sure i'll be desperate enough to go diving that i'll head down with you.

Less than 3 weeks to COZ buddy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom