Blue Heron-caught by the tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:idk: Excussse me

Don,
While I appreciate your enthusiasm... I would really appreciate your leaving this thread for the next 24 hours... Then, you can re-enter...

Please and thank you,
Jim

She may have misunderstood what the dive shop said. The dive shop may have been less than clear in their instructions.

Regardless, she scared the beejeeburs out of herself!

I'm glad the local divers post the Blue Heron Bridge tide tables in their signatures.

No permanent injuries I hope, and maybe a good bar-b-que would help.

If you really think that your safety is the responsibility of others( a dive shop, fellow divers, etc.) maybe you should rethink the whole diving thing. Get defensive all you like, but you should have learned in your OW class that your safety is NOBODY'S responsibility but your own. Take this as a lesson learned. Check the tides yourself. It seems that you spoke to Force-E, but even if you didn't, we all go off the same tide charts. Please don't blame anyone else for your lack of info. YOU did not do the proper research to do this 'easy' dive, it is nobody's fault but you and your buddy's. I won't even comment directly on the spear fishermen, who are not allowed in the park... I'm sorry, and I know that this will upset you, but noone was in the wrong here but you and your buddy. Next time, take the responsibility, and don't put your life in the hands of others. Please don't try to pawn off this mistake that YOU made on others(the dive shop, the classes in the water, the instructors). Own up to your mistake of not planning the dive well, correct that mistake, and if you feel up to it, keep diving. If, however, you feel that your life is the strict responsibility of others, maybe you should take up fly-fishing, or volleyball. Because I, for one, have no interest in saving some diver who got into trouble because of his/her lack of research. BTW: SEATOW has tide tables for the bridge at any of the dive shops around here. Education in this matter is free.

To everyone posting in response... Please, let this diver at least have the opportunity to have a positive dive at Blue Heron Bridge.

I am offering to guide a dive... Please, allow her to respond in kind...

If this offer is not accepted...

My buddy and I spoke to the instructor before our dive, that is how I know who was the instructor and who were the students.

I know that the other divers, who again were not under the bridge heard us because they turned around and all looked at us, my buddy remembers the same thing.

Not only did the dive shop write down the time of the tide which we still have, they also apologized for giving us the wrong time. I will not confirm or deny which dive shop it was because I refuse to blame them. They made a mistake and it could have happened to anyone.

Again, they were spear fisherman. I know the difference. There was no way that they could have been wading.

I didn't post this to have some one tell me that my story was unlikely, I did it to warn other divers. It was a tramatic experience. I wasn't placing blame on the dive shop or the other divers, nor do I not think that they were responsible for me.

I hit my head and it was bleeding rather badly, do you really think that it's a good idea to dive right after that happened?

I will no longer respond to questions that have been asked over and over again.

OK, I've read several versions of the story... I have a pretty good idea of how events unfolded.

Everyone who was nice enough to hold off posting... have at it...

Your suggestion requires a lot more money than the cost of diving there.

I haven't done that dive in many years, but only because I'm lazy, it is easier to o a boat dive for me, but don't think for a minute that is not a A#1 dive. I challenge you to find the diversity of juveniles you can get all in 1 or 2 spans.

I don't mean a personal challenge just saying is difficult to believe that such an unassuming place can have such a marine diversity

I have being active in diving for over 25 years I cannot count one diver ever mention the desire to dive at BHB until I became active on SB. The last time I dived on the Breakers Reef it was teeming with tropicals and a menagerie of the other sea creatures. Ocean diving or intercoastal diving? Let me think about that for awhile. Back already, ocean diving won hands down...:)

Last edited:
Ana-What a nasty thing to say to someone. Reconsider my future in diving? I won't dignify that with a response.

Well you were wondering if you should in a public forum, I thought that was a wise thing to do. Also YOU DID dignify my post with a response and I in turn will dignify your response also.

Now I haven't read the post below this one I'm quoting, but so far it was the dive shop's fault, because they told you the wrong time. You are going on about 10:14, 10:30 and all kind of different times.

My opinion, the opinion I'm giving because YOU ask for opinions (and I felt generous yesterday), yes that opinion is that since you didn't die or were not taken away by the current to the end of the ocean; then this should be taken as a learning experience.

If it was me the first thing I'd think is "I'd never rely on other for the tide times, because I am athletic and a woman and I can google tides by my own little self". Another thing I would do is check out that guy (CoolTech) that is offering you to guide you on a future dive, again I wouldn't rely on anyone but check him out, My personal opinion of him? even if he's an ax murderer his photos of the place are amazing, he goes kazillion times a month to that bridge, it would be worth taking up his offer. Not that I would trust him 100% because there is no reason to do that with anyone. Another thing I would do, is figure out how to deal with high currents, if those 3 men were able to do it, why wouldn't you? I like the drama added about using their spear guns to work their way to save you and your buddy. Are you sure it wasn't their knives? who cares? I sure don't. But I suppose you should care.

Anyways... my original suggestion was to go ahead and do think about it. If you were a relative I care for, I'd suggest to find someone to hold your hand or find another activity.

One last thing, I fail to see what was so nasty about my response.

I have being active in diving for over 25 years I cannot count one diver ever mention the desire to dive at BHB until I became active on SB. The last time I dived on the Breakers Reef it was teeming with tropicals and a menagerie of the other sea creatures. Ocen diving or intercoastal diving? Let me think about that for awhile. Back already, ocean diving won hands down...:)
I know how you feel!

I remember getting this on...
seahorse1002228.jpg

Wait... maybe it was this on...
octopus1002261.jpg

No, not that one, it was definitely...
yhjawfish1002224.jpg

Hmmm, no... it had to be this embryonic moray...
unknown1002225.jpg

No, it wasn't that... perhaps...
eagleray_1002212.jpg

No... It was definitely...
manatee_1002214.jpg

Ooops!

Yep, you got me. The ocean is soooo much better than diving any place near BHB. Even these pictures taken over a 10 day period at BHB are no match for what one can see in the ocean on any given day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom