Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, planning on tomorrow morning myself.

BHB Night Dive.jpg

Hello everyone,

What are you doing tomorrow night?
We will be sponsoring a Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive tomorrow Saturday, April 12th.
Join us as we search for the Dwarf frogfish and other amazing creatures.

Click the link below or call us for more information.
Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive: April 12th :: Pura Vida Divers

So I was supposed to do a charter today with downto60 (Aric). Yesterday, the dive op called the trip and said others were doing the same (unfortunately not true). So we manned up and woke up in the wee hours of the morning. We had the entire beach to ourselves (besides those sleeping in the sand). We entered the water around 5:40am. Vis was around 30+ ft. We went in just to the right of the swim zone and in 30 seconds were treated to a single spotted eagle ray zig zagging in front of us. We found a reticulate moray eel, a southern stingray, and a yellow stingray. The spotted eagle ray was my first at the bridge. We also found an upside down jelly fish. It sounds like a lot, but it all came in spread out over almost 2 hrs, so most of the dive was pretty inactive. Having the sun come up while underwater was cool. We hit the East bridge and didn't find anything of note over there.

After the dive we swung by Scuba Works and Aric got a 4000lb nitrox fill. The nitrox log was full of 4000 lb fills. We got there about 9am and they had 10am charter depatures. We almost did it, but I didn't take my sea sickness meds nor did I have all my safety gear for the drift dive. So we opted for breakfast at IHop and coffee at Starbucks instead.

So add one more event to my troll list, an AM dive before sunrise.

I'll try to get some video up tomorrow. Here's a screen capture of the spotted eagle ray from my video.

2n1xkp0.png

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 09:25 PM ----------

Nice, planning on tomorrow morning myself.

When you invited me the other day for the Sat morning AM dive, I thought to myself, there's no way in hell I'd get up that early! 2 days later my charter gets cancelled and I was Jonesing so bad for a dive, I couldn't not get up :). Now we are being told next Friday (our scheduled SL8r night dive) is expected to be rough too. *sigh*

congrats at getting up at O'dark thirty to make it to the bridge for a sunrise dive. magical, yes?

Late afternoon dive. Circumstances beyond our control, my buddy had to back out at literally the last minute, so I went solo. Vis was 35ft, and it seemed chilly for being 75°. Usual cast of critters, lots of lancer dragonets, pike blennies, octopi, and I saw at least 10 squat lobster. One spot had 3, another spot had 5! Wow!!! Tough to photograph. They make the lancer dragonets seem outright sluggish!

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 11:27 PM ----------

Squat Lobster
10153233_10152033599703531_1547970005278242861_n.jpg

Sooo what happens if you don't dive the slack tide at the bridge? Any recommendations on what areas to avoid? Thank you

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

Sooo what happens if you don't dive the slack tide at the bridge? Any recommendations on what areas to avoid? Thank you

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

High tide slack, otherwise viz is poor, water moves rapidly, and there may be monsters....

There are a couple of people who post who have done so, they may chime in.

Sandra has done a lot of high tide to high tide 6 hour dives with an hp100...hunting nudibranchs....very little swimming or breathing :)

She says the nudis come out better when the tide is going out...and are very easy to find at low tide...The surge of current when the tide is really ripping outgoing, about 40 minutes after the hour long peak slack tide, is a time you want to be belly to the bottom some place, and not be fighting it.

On the other hand.....I keep telling her this is the time the water is full of pollution and sewage.....all the outflows from the canals, run-off from lawns and agricultural fertilizers, and the tannins from the river and mangroves make a nice low vis "soup" that you guys are subjecting your skin to, and sometimes even getting in your mouths !!!! Durring High tide, the enormous flow of pure ocean water coming into the inlet gives us great water quality in the BHB area around high tide.... I have used testing kits ( same as Government uses for water quality tests) and so has Skip of Force E...the test show clean sea water at high tide.....Low tide--you are doing this for your passion, against common sense.....but who ever said divers were full of common sense :)

Wow. 6hr dives.. that's pretty impressive.. wonder how bad the tissue loading is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom