Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About basdetball sized--BHB Monday 10-28

It is clearly an urchin, but sooo big--someone told me it looks like one from the Indo-Pacific. Any other ideas?

IMG_4495.jpg

Someone else said it might be a local deep water species. It was just north of the east bridge when we saw it on Monday........Very impressive!! Nice to see jet and scuba-Jenny. Temp still 81 on my computer and the viz about 25 ft.

It is clearly an urchin, but sooo big--someone told me it looks like one from the Indo-Pacific. Any other ideas?

View attachment 169883

Someone else said it might be a local deep water species. It was just north of the east bridge when we saw it on Monday........Very impressive!! Nice to see jet and scuba-Jenny. Temp still 81 on my computer and the viz about 25 ft.

It is a Magnificent Urchin, Astropyga magnifica, page 379 in the Humann/DeLoach Reef Creature book (2nd edition). The book says it is rare and prefers deep-water habitats, but has been seen a couple of times at the bridge......

I would agree that it's a Magnificent Urchin except for the bulbous thing on it's top. And it is in the same size that the REEF book states..
I saw a smaller one over Memorial Day at the bridge.
970810_10151440341378531_1667565648_n.jpg

Neat urchin! If you do a google image search for the magnificent urchin, most of the images have that bulbous thing on top....probably part of the urchin.

yeah, I prefer it being an eyeball too.. though a bit creepy...

Magnificent fer sure!

It is a Magnificent Urchin, Astropyga magnifica, page 379 in the Humann/DeLoach Reef Creature book (2nd edition). The book says it is rare and prefers deep-water habitats, but has been seen a couple of times at the bridge......

Thank you lindai and scuba-jenny!! My Creature book is still the first edition--it ENDS at p 320, so they added a lot of images to the 2nd edition! I must update soon! In the meantime, Force E Riviera has open copies of the 3 basic marine ID books by Humann/DeLoach aka The Bible! I DID look after the dive to find what 1 of the critters we saw was--turned out to probably be the mate of the nearby male Pikeblenny.

IMG_4461.jpgIMG_4478.jpgIMG_4480.jpgIMG_4484.jpgThe first pic is a Ragged Sea Hare, this is the 2nd one JoanneR has found in the past week or so. Next is the female pikeblenny which she found as well, then the nearby male, and a bigger than usual octo in a 3 or 4 inch pipe on the east side. Quite a creature feature Monday!!

nice finds! Haven't seen a ragged seahare in a while..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom