Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some shots from BHB last week....

jpeg-7200.jpg

jpeg-7216.jpg

jpeg-7152.jpg

jpeg-7184.jpg

jpeg-7197.jpg

jpeg-7107.jpg

jpeg-7110.jpg

jpeg-7116.jpg

jpeg-7139.jpg

Attachments

• jpeg-7216.jpg
    jpeg-7216.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 291
Thanks for the info on keys. And djtimmy77, the pictures are fantastic. What camera are you using.

And now, I'd like a recommendation on where to stay. We'll be in West Palm Beach for 6 nights, diving probably 4 or 5 days. I'd like a nice place, close to good restaurants.

Again, thanks for the help on keys.

Thanks!

I use a Nikon D300 and some old S&S ys-90 strobes.

You may check the hotels (marriott/hilton) right there on Singer Island. They may have discounted rates for divers so make sure you call. This would be my first choice if I was focused on BHB and local WPB boat diving, plus there are restaurants nearby and you are on the beach.

A lot of divers who go to BHB and dont need fancy or on the beach stay at a Super 8 in North Palm Beach. Quite a few restaurants in that area as well.

A little further north there are a few hotels in Jupiter, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, and La Quinta all have a selection of restaurants in walking distance, but are farther from BHB, although close to the Jupiter dive boats.

2nd vote for Super8 on US1 about a mile south of PGA Blvd. In their advertising it is referred to as PGA Super8. Do not mistake for the Super8 on Blue Heron Blvd at I-95. Restaurants we like very close to the US1 Super8, are La Bamba almost across the street, PA BBQ, and Brass Ring or BR in bridge parlance with usually the best burger around within many miles. There's even a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse close to the motel. I have heard that the Hilton on Singer Is sometimes offers an $80. special--haven't found that yet, but we will stay there if we do! Super8 a few weeks ago was $70. with the taxes, etc. by using AAA or AARP, and several more........I have heard that Super8 offers a diver rate although the guy working our last visit knew nothing of it.................

We dove BHB yesterday and going again today--great conditions--84 degree water and 35-40 ft viz, with frogfish, seahorses, pipefish, flying gurnards, batfish, eagle rays, southern rays, and a fanworm out of it's lodging and moving to a new home. First time ever for that! As someone here said recently and it IS a great description of what is there, "we saw all the usual unusual critters"!!

Hey jimw and any other lurkers who may be diving the bridge today.

I plan to make the dive and expect to start splashing around at 2:30 or so. Driving a white Subaru Forrester, and lugging a big black camera housing with a pair of little gray Inon strobes on bendy arms if anybody’d care to say hi, or perhaps maybe share some eyeballs for critter spotting.

I plan to make the dive and expect to start splashing around at 2:30 or so. Driving a white Subaru Forrester, and lugging a big black camera housing with a pair of little gray Inon strobes on bendy arms if anybody’d care to say hi, or perhaps maybe share some eyeballs for critter spotting.

I'm gonna give the east side a try today for a change. Probably gonna try to do a little "recon" via snorkel first out around the snorkel trail, if I can find the energy. Probably try that around 1:30 or 2. I'm not the best critter spotter, but anybody is always welcome to hang near. I'm the one with the nose snot and two big ole ikelite strobes and ikelite housing and a yellow snorkel. Gray minivan from Georgia.

Reading this quickly without my glasses... my mind asked "is he taking his Forrester into the water, or did they add something else to the snorkel trail recently?"

I then had a vision of a Forrester on a boat ramp, half submerged.

Funny where one's mind goes when misreading a single word.

pancake batfish are you serious?!?!?!?!

For those that have asked, here are a few more from Tuesday night.
This is a large sargassum frogfish that made me very glad I was not on the menu!
John

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

BHB-201506173629.jpg

Lest you think we spent the whole 2.5 hours rolling in the weed (does sound like a Phil Foster parking lot story) here are a few more from our dive

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

BHB-201506173750.jpg

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:05 PM ----------

BHB-201506173707.jpg

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:07 PM ----------

BHB-201506173816.jpg

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:14 PM ----------

On the way out rushing to beat the permit exit deadline I found of all things another lifetime wish list critter seen at the bridge;
A flapjack batfish, possibly better known as a pancake batfish.
My video was was stone dead but made a handy marker while I chased down my photog and even got a freind from the parking lot to come back and check it out.

photo54.JPG

SWEEET!
John

Question for both Sully and Dj. Are both of you shooting with a viewfinder? Also I plan to be in Jupiter 08/07-08/14. Is it hard to find locals to buddy up with? If I can't find anyone I am going to solo but would prefer to meet some local divers.

Also what other shore dives are good in the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom