Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if the area could be protected from collecting due to the ease of access to multitudes of people enjoying the diversity of critters at BHB.

That being said others are right it is legal for people with a fishing license to collect for their personal tanks, even if the critters will more than likely starve to death in short order.

Do remember that Florida Statute 379.105 makes it a misdemeanor to harass people collecting fish, fishing, etc so make sure to consider how it would affect your life away from the bridge before you initiate contact with collectors.

I obviously like the BHB as much as the next guy, but one must be aware of the rules in our society and live by them or try to get them changed.

I think it is essential to understand that Florida Statute 379.105 was never intended to address a resource like the BHB Marine Park.
It should NOT be applied here, and we need the spotlight turned on to it, with TV News, Facebook, and SB posts.
Marine Biologists will testify to the unique and important nature of this Estuarine area, and for the need to eliminate collecting.

As it stands, collectors can come in and wipe out all the frogfish and all the seahorses, in one weekend, should they so desire.
What is considered legal --regarding collection, is clearly a foolish practice that needs to be changed.

Why not get a big TV controversy where some photographers interfere with some collecting, and the collectors get the FWC to write a ridiculously inappropriate ticket--this would be an AWESOME TV News story.....to get the spotlight on the need for change.

Actually the statute directly applies here. The intent is to protect people participating in law abiding activities (fishing, hunting, collection of critters) from those who don't agree with those being lawful activities.

Dan, you should consider staging a brawl with some fake actor "collectors" and convince the TV stations to provide the coverage you want.

Actually the statute directly applies here. The intent is to protect people participating in law abiding activities (fishing, hunting, collection of critters) from those who don't agree with those being lawful activities.

Dan, you should consider staging a brawl with some fake actor "collectors" and convince the TV stations to provide the coverage you want.
By your logic.....in a time in Palm beach when you could "legally" get drunk and drive your boat around all the high traffic areas of the inlet...you would argue it is your RIGHT to get drunk and drive your boat....It is a Legal behavior in this sense.
Others might have decided it should NOT be legal to allow boaters to drive drunk...and they might well try to publicize the need for it. They might realize that what is "legal", is not always right....and that quite often it is even obvious to all.

I have clearly stated that I think the marine life at BHB should be protected. You of course ignore that focusing on my advice not to get yourself in legal trouble by harassing the collectors, but not appreciating that advice because you don't agree with the law.

BTW since you want to go to an unrelated tangent, a high percentage of the local boaters still drive drunk as those laws are not enforced with any regularity. I know several personally that are convinced it is an integral part of boating.

a high percentage of the local boaters still drive drunk as those laws are not enforced with any regularity. I know several personally that are convinced it is an integral part of boating.

I think you are dead on with this !

Dan, so, have you filed any type of complaints? have you contacted any media? Facebook pages are nice. But harassing collectors isn't.
I know you are passionate about protecting this place and we are too.. however, somebody has to take the lead, and be the leader in this cause. Is it you? Or are you just a bullhorn shouting to get the masses fired up? Group think is not productive, it just pissed people off. Where is the (legitimate, as in not through causes.com, etc..) petition we can sign, what does it say? Who is it addressed to? Is it a lot of hot air and attitude or is it wording with thought and consciousness? Have you contacted anybody to see how to go about remedying this?

Dan, so, have you filed any type of complaints? have you contacted any media? Facebook pages are nice. But harassing collectors isn't.
I know you are passionate about protecting this place and we are too.. however, somebody has to take the lead, and be the leader in this cause. Is it you? Or are you just a bullhorn shouting to get the masses fired up? Group think is not productive, it just pissed people off. Where is the (legitimate, as in not through causes.com, etc..) petition we can sign, what does it say? Who is it addressed to? Is it a lot of hot air and attitude or is it wording with thought and consciousness? Have you contacted anybody to see how to go about remedying this?

Actually, I think the guy that created the BHB Marine Watch page may be willing to do that.....I am right in the middle of Project Seahorse right now.....no way I can do both :)
I will ask him.

Most likely they are collecting for the purpose of selling. I thought this area was a park? Greedy people, can strip it bare quickly. Just because something is legal does not make it right in the greater picture. N

They already tried to establish special rules for collectors there. Dan and i were both at a public meeting. The plan was not well organized and there were many people advocating against additional restrictions, including at least one marine scientist who collects there. The plan never went forward.

Dan has previously suggested that people follow around bad instructors who teach bad skills and then try to video tape them, identify them and attempt to publicly humiliate them for their sloppiness as a means to rectify a problem.

I'm not sure how well that effort has been going , but I would agree that hordes of bad divers kicking up everything is undesirable. However, scuba instructors and their (bad) students are not afforded any special protection by the Florida Statutes. Hunters, fishers and collectors are given specific protections from any type of harassment or interference (as mentioned above). There is a recreational fishing pier there. The place is INTENDED to provide the residents the ability to take marine organisms (in a legal manner).

I would suggest a more worthwhile approach would be to work on water quality issues, rather than harass individuals in an illegal manner.

I wonder if the moderators would allow anyone else to advocate for board members to engage in deliberate, illegal activities associated with diving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom