Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful morning dive. Alarm went off at 3:15AM, left at 4, and very little traffic meant I was up to the bridge pretty early. I waited for my buddy in the Force E parking lot as Jet didn't think it cool for me to be alone in BHB parking lot at 5. Around 5:40 we parked and the front row was almost filled-- with picnic'rs grilling away. mmm it smelled good! Hit the water about 6:15, just light enough not to need a flashlight and started searching for treasure. Lots of octopi. A few pike blennies, no dwarfs (we think they are gone as their usual hiding spots are also gone), and the usual cast of swimming, crawling critters. 2:20 later we exited to an almost full lot! Glad we got our dive in and out of there before too much craziness abounds..
Big highlight? Dive #900 for me!!! Woot!!!!

It was a fun morning - viz 30-35ft, water temp 81°. And I'm very happy Jenny celebrated this milestone with MB and me! Here are a few pics:

DSC06073.jpg DSC06098.jpg DSC06100.jpg DSC06108.jpg

Anyone looking for a dive buddy tonight? I'm solo at the moment. I would enjoy meeting some of those I haven't met yet.

Chris

This morning's conditions---25 ft of viz, water temp 79F. JoanneR switched to her 3 mil and was cold. The Diva and I were OK, but I was a little surprised by the 2 degree drop in temp. We went west and saw an uncountable number of octos--the Diva reports seeing 4 within a few feet of one another. A few octos were out and about. I saw about 3 very small Sea Robins, several eels--mostly Sharptails but 1 Spotted, AND a tiny bright green filefish--hope to have pics after the required NAP!

IMG_5178.jpgIMG_5145.jpgIMG_5167.jpgIMG_5171.jpg
Crab using toothpick! I had not seen a Hairy Blenny in this red color phase, amazing!

Last edited:
I guess it's solo tonight. I'll look for something to just sit on and record a ton of video on.

I guess it's solo tonight. I'll look for something to just sit on and record a ton of video on.

If I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd join you.
I need to get a few things anyways like a tank light and dive flag light. How exactly is a light mounted to a dive flag anyways?

Love the squid in the first shot.
Where you diving of a boat or just went in off beach?
John

Love the squid in the first shot.
Where you diving of a boat or just went in off beach?
John

Off the beach....we dropped the gear off at the end of the perimeter road along the beach, where it goes into the jetty and the road is closed off to cars....
I had to park at Ocean mall, as it was too early to be sure I could park at the apartment of the person I know that lives right in that area....However, while it may seem a long way, it is at most a 7 or 8 minute walk, and probably it is good for all of us to do little walks like this every day :)

In any event, once back with my gear by the jetty, Sandra, Bill and I carried the snorkel gear and cameras to the Pumphouse at the South end of the Singer Island beach.....this is very easy, even with big cameras..

Probably the majority of Trolls would find the area right in front of the beach, around the pump house itself, up to the point of rocks--almost to the point of turning the bend and heading into the inlet--but not actually making the turn West and running down the jetty and inlet...as being the most fun....

The largest clouds of fish are at this point, so you don't really need to head into the inlet. You can just stay in front of the rocks, east of the Pumphouse.
And around the rocks, and around the pump house, is some amazing marine life....the majority of this area is massively protected by the structures, and it feels like diving / snorkeling in a big swimming pool with lots of marine life....
The area straight East in front of the Pumphouse--the rocks that make the point you would have to swim around if you wanted to go into the inlet and down the jetty, are higher energy, and some snorkelers may find they have to get accustomed to the surges if they want to swim up close to any of these rocks, because of all the life in there.....It's actually lots of fun, and as you get comfortable in this kind of environment, you'll find that even on fairly rough days, it is easy enough to snorkel around these rocks without being pushed into anything...But just take baby steps, and this should go easy for anyone.

I will say Sandra was less happy with our run way down the inside of the inlet along the jetty--there was current she was not fond of, and wakes from big fishing boats that she is not used to snorkeling in....the waves don't really bother a good snorkeler/freediver, but Sandra has not done any real freediving, so is not used to having the big waves blow over the top of her and then seeing them crash into the rocks. Which is to say, she loved the protected area in front of the beach, and even the point of rocks, and is less interested in running down the jetty on the inside of the North Jetty.

Now she LOVES the South Jetty, both by Annies Dock ( both East 200 yards and West 200 yards) AND, on the Palm Beach Island Side of the South Jetty, where there is tons of coral in the protected area on that side.

Hopefully some of the Trolls will take us up on future snorkel/freedive trips to these areas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom