Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While taking off my fins Kelly spots a man of war (lots) but this one has a large beautiful man of war fish.
As the man of war washed ashore I managed a little surge video but no photos, looking at video I saw a second baby with the grown up! Awesome way to finish a dive. Always something new:D.
John

How cool. Didn't even know such a thing existed. As soon as I read your post I had to hop on Wikipedia. Always learning new things, too. Can't wait for your pics!

If anyone goes today, please post a conditions report.
Thank you!
jet

Man of war fish.
Here is a picture from the internet (not mine) which actually looks like the baby, the adult was more streamlined and would flair those crazy pectoral fins out in a threat gesture. The blue streamers of the man of war stinging tendrils flowing past my face made a nice effect.....

Attachments

• man-of-war-fish-40M1088-03.jpg
    man-of-war-fish-40M1088-03.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 170
Tim, incredible photos!

Kids are so much work.....
Male turns color when guarding eggs.....

Attachments

• Damsels.jpg
    Damsels.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 137
Hunting octo...
Flashy fellow.

Attachments

• octo.jpg
    octo.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 141
The serious teeth might explain why this big boy looked more a halibet

Attachments

• Gulf Flounder.jpg
    Gulf Flounder.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 140
Thanks everyone for the advice. Wife and I did our first dive on the bridge today. Water temp read 70 but I don't trust my computer and viz was decent. We stuck to the west side today and will likely try the east side tomorrow.

A few things I'd point out being a first timer there:

1) you mean it when you say it gets busy
2) more fire worms and arrow crabs than I've seen on a single dive.
3) bat fish are also a lot more common than I would have thought (saw 4)

any flying gonads or frog fish? My favorite usual suspects.

any flying gonads or frog fish? My favorite usual suspects.

I didn't spot any frog fish (favorite) but did hang around with a flying gonad (must be the scientific name).

To return the favor of the advice given I've uploaded a few low res photos from the weekend.

I completely missed the nudi in behind the sharptail eel. Only spotted it once I uploaded the photos.

BHB 2014.jpgBHB 2014-3.jpgBHB 2014-4.jpgBHB 2014-6.jpgBHB 2014-7.jpgBHB 2014-8.jpgBHB 2014-9.jpg

a few more:

Any help on an ID for the crab (?) in the last two? I'd blandly thought of it as a decorator crab but would love any more info. It was standing in the same growth it's covered in with the exception of the anemone (?) on it's back. Finger tip for scale.

BHB 2014-14.jpgBHB 2014-18.jpgBHB 2014-19.jpgBHB 2014-20.jpgBHB 2014-23.jpgBHB 2014-21.jpgBHB 2014-22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom