Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy I am jealous that you live so close to BHB!
Yes, water is free!:cheers:

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Hi Conchy Joe,

Great hearing from you. We had two boat dives and then 2 1/2 hours at the bridge. Found an orange seahorse and a golden one, absolutely beautiful, with the help of Jim Abernethy who was also there and pointed them out to us. Got excellent shots, putting Phil's lessons to good use!

Guy

Speaking of walking on the bottom, I saw this group on the east side twice last month. Anyone recognize them? The guy towing the flag seemed to be a responsible diver, but the other two guys had no idea. The guy with the red, white, and blue tank was literally walking across the bottom.

HAHA
I can top that but only in video!!! Think anyone with that tank would stand out!!! Kinda pathetic......
Guy no relation, but were you with Jim on Sat. ? I showed you a tiny cool black and silver sea horse after we watched the dueling flounders?????
Had a great time but didn't wan't to impose on on your crew while on a Shearwater gig.....
John
2X veteran of great shearwater trips

I found BHB when I was searching for the perfect place to take my newly certified 12 year old to dive salt water. I saw it as the best place I could find. It fit the bill so perfect. Shallow, often very clear, warm, lots of life for a budding biologist. I felt it was the safest place a mother could find. We drove down, stayed 3 nights, dove the bridge two days and took a boat out on the 3rd day.I though it was a blessing for us to find.It was perfect for us at a time when we needed it. Despite people insisting that you learn perfect bouyancy in an 8 ft deep swimming pool before mucking up some ones photo, it doesn't prepare a kid for the ocean. I love underwater photography. My first attemp at it was in the early 80's with one of those bright yellow minoltas. I competely understand why it p****s off photographers when new divers muck up their dive. I agree that little critters suffer from the new divers but not as much as people think. They withstand a ripping current there at times,we have tanks of corals at home and we litterly take the corals out,chop up and throw back in the tank for them to multiply so I think that the reduced viz is what really irritates people the most. I am not insensitive to the life there but I feel that people are insensitive to new divers. It's like you would have much rather I had skipped the BHB and taken her out on a deeper reef where she wouldn't bother anyone for her post cert dives.Sorry, I love nudibranchs but I love my daughter more. I am so glad I didn't see these post, making fun of new divers, or I wouldn't have taken her there. I guess that is the idea though, isn't it. By the way, call it paradise and they will come. Keep it a secret and they will not know it exist.

I found BHB when I was searching for the perfect place to take my newly certified 12 year old to dive salt water. I saw it as the best place I could find. It fit the bill so perfect. Shallow, often very clear, warm, lots of life for a budding biologist. I felt it was the safest place a mother could find. We drove down, stayed 3 nights, dove the bridge two days and took a boat out on the 3rd day.I though it was a blessing for us to find.It was perfect for us at a time when we needed it. Despite people insisting that you learn perfect bouyancy in an 8 ft deep swimming pool before mucking up some ones photo, it doesn't prepare a kid for the ocean. I love underwater photography. My first attemp at it was in the early 80's with one of those bright yellow minoltas. I competely understand why it p****s off photographers when new divers muck up their dive. I agree that little critters suffer from the new divers but not as much as people think. They withstand a ripping current there at times,we have tanks of corals at home and we litterly take the corals out,chop up and throw back in the tank for them to multiply so I think that the reduced viz is what really irritates people the most. I am not insensitive to the life there but I feel that people are insensitive to new divers. It's like you would have much rather I had skipped the BHB and taken her out on a deeper reef where she wouldn't bother anyone for her post cert dives.Sorry, I love nudibranchs but I love my daughter more. I am so glad I didn't see these post, making fun of new divers, or I wouldn't have taken her there. I guess that is the idea though, isn't it. By the way, call it paradise and they will come. Keep it a secret and they will not know it exist.

Do you have a red, white and blue tank? :coffee:

I found BHB when I was searching for the perfect place to take my newly certified 12 year old to dive salt water. I saw it as the best place I could find. It fit the bill so perfect. Shallow, often very clear, warm, lots of life for a budding biologist.

Most biologists respect their subjects.

I felt it was the safest place a mother could find. We drove down, stayed 3 nights, dove the bridge two days and took a boat out on the 3rd day.I though it was a blessing for us to find.It was perfect for us at a time when we needed it. Despite people insisting that you learn perfect bouyancy in an 8 ft deep swimming pool before mucking up some ones photo, it doesn't prepare a kid for the ocean.

You most definitely can learn perfect buoyancy in a pool, kind of boring but yes. There is plenty of plain sand bottom if you want to hone skills in saltwater, even at Phil Foster Park.

I love underwater photography. My first attemp at it was in the early 80's with one of those bright yellow minoltas. I competely understand why it p****s off photographers when new divers muck up their dive. I agree that little critters suffer from the new divers but not as much as people think. They withstand a ripping current there at times,we have tanks of corals at home and we litterly take the corals out,chop up and throw back in the tank for them to multiply so I think that the reduced viz is what really irritates people the most.

You are missing the point, just as there is hardy coral, there is plenty of sea life that does not take well to abuse.

I am not insensitive to the life there but I feel that people are insensitive to new divers.

your post suggests otherwise.

It's like you would have much rather I had skipped the BHB and taken her out on a deeper reef where she wouldn't bother anyone for her post cert dives.

again, there is plenty of plain sand bottom to hone skills, even at Phil Foster Park.

Sorry, I love nudibranchs but I love my daughter more.

So you would rather abuse the resource, so when it is your grandkid's turn, they will have to go on and abuse someplace else because this site was loved to death. way to foster a budding biologist.

I am so glad I didn't see these post, making fun of new divers, or I wouldn't have taken her there. I guess that is the idea though, isn't it. By the way, call it paradise and they will come. Keep it a secret and they will not know it exist.

I would not make fun of a new diver, we all have been there once. At one time I was an overweighted bicycle kicking machine who did not know any better. On the other hand, if you know better, your daughter is way ahead of the game in her opportunity to become a better diver. There's no need to sacrifice sea life to do that though.

Wow, glad that post was adressed.
It was so ignorant I'd think someone posted just to stir it up.....

Speaking of walking on the bottom, I saw this group on the east side twice last month. Anyone recognize them? The guy towing the flag seemed to be a responsible diver, but the other two guys had no idea. The guy with the red, white, and blue tank was literally walking across the bottom.

Well, at least it is going to be easy to find this guy in the parking lot, and have polite conversation with him....or show him some photos...for that matter....why not make a sign with the big circle and diagonal line running across him and his red , white and blue tank...and caption it....." GOOD DIVERS DO NOT STAND OR KICK INTO THE BOTTOM!" .. :)

HAHA
I can top that but only in video!!! Think anyone with that tank would stand out!!! Kinda pathetic......
Guy no relation, but were you with Jim on Sat. ? I showed you a tiny cool black and silver sea horse after we watched the dueling flounders?????
Had a great time but didn't wan't to impose on on your crew while on a Shearwater gig.....
John
2X veteran of great shearwater trips

John, my wife and I were out with on the Deep O for the Mizpah in the morning and we decided to beach dive the bridge in the afternoon. We noticed that Jim brought the Deep O over to the bridge and I believe we met up with him and his buddy purely by chance. They were on the seahorses and gracious to share! It was right at the end of the dive and the tide had already turned for quite a while but vis was still decent enought to enjoy.

---------- Post Merged at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:08 PM ----------

It never disappoints, but the crush of bottom-killing classes and general silt-kickers is taking its toll . . . I am worried that the bridge is getting used to death. On our dive, we saw fresh beheaded olbsters on the bottom (we also saw this out of season), a guy with a slurp gun and something in a bucket bold as brass in the parking lot, and people with lobster snares. This place is small and can take only so much . . .

It never disappoints, but the crush of bottom-killing classes and general silt-kickers is taking its toll . . . I am worried that the bridge is getting used to death. On our dive, we saw fresh beheaded olbsters on the bottom (we also saw this out of season), a guy with a slurp gun and something in a bucket bold as brass in the parking lot, and people with lobster snares. This place is small and can take only so much . . .

the tragedy of the commons

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom